Last Updated on January 29, 2023 by Admin
Construction management (CM) is a professional service that uses techno-scientific project management techniques to manage the planning, design, and construction from its beginning to its end. Read to know more about the construction management career and job opportunities for engineers.
What is Construction Management?
Construction management meaning is the process of managing construction projects. This includes everything from planning and budgeting to organizing and overseeing the construction process. Construction managers typically have a background in engineering or architecture, although some come from other project management backgrounds.
Construction management is the process of planning, coordinating, and overseeing construction projects. It can be divided into three main phases: preconstruction, construction, and post-construction.
The pre-construction phase includes project planning, budgeting, and site selection. Construction phase activities include project scheduling, resource allocation, and construction coordination. Post-construction phase activities include project closeout, punch list completion, and warranty management.
The construction management project topics can vary depending on the project’s focus. However, some common topics include construction schedules, cost estimation, risk management, and quality control. Construction managers must be able to communicate effectively with all parties involved in a project to ensure its successful completion.
What are the various types of construction management?
There are different types of construction management, each with its advantages and disadvantages.
The most common type is the general contractor model, in which a single company is responsible for the entire project. The most common type is general contracting, which entails hiring a single company to oversee all aspects of the construction process.
This can be advantageous because it can save time and money. However, it can also be risky because the contractor may not have experience in all construction areas. Contractors are responsible for the overall coordination of a construction project.
Another type of construction management is the project manager model, in which an individual is hired to oversee the project. This can be cheaper than the general contractor model but can also be more chaotic and difficult to coordinate.
Design-build firms provide both architectural and construction services. Where a company works with an architect to design the project before beginning construction,
Construction management at risk firms manages the entire construction process from start to finish. Construction project management, where a company manages only certain aspects of the construction process.
Project management is responsible for the overall coordination of the construction project. This includes ensuring that all necessary permits are obtained, coordinating the activities of the various contractors, and keeping track of the project budget. This can be more expensive but it can also provide more flexibility and allow for greater specialization.
Construction supervision is responsible for the on-site coordination of construction activities. This includes ensuring that the work is being performed according to the plans and specifications and that any problems that arise are quickly resolved.
Facilities management, which focuses on the day-to-day operations of a construction site. This includes tasks like security, maintenance, and janitorial services.
Related eBooks for you:
- Career Success in Civil Engineering: A Guide for Students and New Professionals [eBook]
- An Ultimate Guide to Launch your Career in Digital Construction [eBook for 2023]
- Top 50 BIM Interview Questions and Answers [eBook]
- Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers PDF eBOOK
- Civil Engineering Careers Blueprint eBook: The Great Construction Career
- Construction jobs Interview: An Ultimate Interview Preparation Guide (Ebook)
- Ebook on Building Information Modeling (BIM): An Ultimate Career Guide
- Effective Job Search Strategies for Engineers: Ebook
What Does Construction Management Do?
Construction Project Management (CPM) is the overall planning, coordination, and control of a project from beginning to completion. CPM is directed at meeting a client’s requirements to produce a functionally and economically viable project.
A construction manager will supervise and manage contractors and laborers at construction sites in construction management.
They are responsible for addressing emergencies, work delays, or other construction project problems. From time to time, they meet and discuss projects with architects, specialized trade employees, and civil engineers on projects or upcoming builds.
Construction managers are responsible for overseeing construction projects. They make sure that the project is completed on time, within budget, and to the specifications set forth by the client.
Construction managers work with various tradespeople and contractors to get the job done. They also have to coordinate with other departments, such as engineering and architecture, to ensure everything goes smoothly.
- Project Management Career: A Complete Guide for 2023
- BIM | Building Information Modeling | A Great Career Option For Engineers
- The Great Construction Career: A Career Blueprint
- What are the Best Job Opportunities for Construction Management?
- 28 Top Construction Project Management Courses to Join in 2023
- Digital Construction | What Is Digital Construction Management?
Why Construction Management as a Career Option?
A construction manager holds the same responsibilities and performs the same processes in each sector. A construction manager can be distinguished based on his knowledge of the construction site. This may include different types of construction equipment, building construction techniques, construction materials, subcontractors, and possible locations.
In 2023 and beyond, construction management is one of the best career options for civil engineers and architects. We are getting many queries like, is a construction manager a promising career? What are the job career and job opportunities in construction management?
As a construction manager, you are ultimately responsible for everything on a construction site – from overseeing the entire structure to delegating tasks, snag management, and site handover. It is a hugely varied job – which makes it very attractive for the right kind of person:
- Construction manager employment is projected to grow 11% from 2016 to 2026 – indicating that it is a career with long-term prospects
- A recent survey found 74% of construction managers are satisfied with their work – which is much higher than the industry average.
The place of work is called the construction industry, composed of five sectors- residential, commercial, heavy civil, industrial, and environmental. Construction management is also called Construction Project Management. Kindly check the Commercial Manager Job Description and Salary Details.
The construction industry is comprised of five sectors:
- Heavy Civil Engineering
Enroll In the Construction Management Specialization Course By Columbia University, New York
What is the difference between the project manager and the construction manager?
In a construction project, the construction manager oversees on-site operations, such as personnel, materials, and the construction budget, and their role is limited to the construction projects only.
While Project managers oversee all phases of the project, from marketing to administrative needs, the project manager, on the other hand, is more responsible for the project budget and the timeline.
For example, a construction manager may only oversee the construction of the building itself. In contrast, a project manager will run all aspects of the project, from selecting the site to land procurement.
A Construction manager oversees all construction activities. The project manager is more responsible for managing the project than the construction process. Therefore, a project manager will often supervise a construction manager.
The Scope of Construction Management
The construction management scope of work typically includes project planning, coordination, and control. It may also include budgeting, scheduling, quality control, and safety management. The construction manager is responsible for ensuring that the project is completed on time, within budget, and to the required standards.
The scope of construction project management includes the planning, coordination, and execution of construction projects. It involves working with architects, engineers, and other professionals to ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget. It also includes;
Construction project management also entails managing risks and dealing with unexpected problems that may arise during the course of the project.
- The primary purpose of CM is to control project time, cost, and quality. CM is compatible with all project delivery systems.
- To serve the client’s best interest, first is an owner’s representative.
- Reduce overall project costs, contract management, change orders, orders reduction in time, and unnecessary scope and cost elimination.
- Advising the team for the best results
- Enhance quality control to reduce the potential for defects and poor workmanship.
- Provide realistic and reliable budgets and protect the Owner from unnecessary liability.
- Optimize and accelerate the design and construction schedule.
- Provide cost-effective document controls,
- Protect the Owner from unnecessary liability.
- Provide management expertise, applying resources wherever needed.
- What Is Infrastructure Project Management?
- What is a Project Management Audit?
- What are some of the best construction management books?
- 5 Reasons Why Managers Need to Learn Project Management Basics
What are the Construction Management Services?
Construction management services are a type of professional service that provides assistance to clients during the construction process. These services can include project management, construction planning, and coordination of construction activities. Construction managers are responsible for ensuring that a construction project is completed on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards.
The Functions of Construction Management
The main Six functions of Construction Management typically include the following;
- Project Management Planning: Defining project objectives and plans, including describing the scope, budgeting, scheduling, setting performance requirements, and selecting project participants. Project managers must define workers’ tasks and estimate the duration of each activity. This information is necessary when planning out a project thoroughly. Without an excellent construction plan, developing a budget and work schedule is challenging.
- Cost Management: Understanding the costs of a project is a necessary part of managing construction. Understanding one’s budget can help build the payment table. Project managers use the funding to determine the total costs and returns expected from a particular project. Project managers use the budget and plan to determine when steps are complete. Sometimes project managers request payment after each step. They were maximizing resource efficiency by procuring labor, materials, and equipment.
- Time Management: The ability to use time wisely and efficiently is an important skill needed for someone in construction management and is the reason that it is considered one of the critical functions of construction management.
- Quality Management: Construction management will need to analyze their work practices to see if they are up to par, determine if the material used is of standard quality, and ensure that the finished product is protected from any potential harm or damage that may come to it. Without quality management, it is harder to win bids from others.
- Contract Administration: The management team completes the project to contract and can ensure this by using the original contract documents and analyzing and observing the overall progress of the construction project.
- Safety Management: To safely start a project, a manager must first plan and determine all the potential safety hazards for each job. By implementing safety protocols such as personal protective equipment and zoning, managers can prevent worker and bystander injury.
The construction manager needs to implement various operations through proper coordination and control of planning, design, estimating, contracting, and construction in the entire process. And by developing effective communications and mechanisms for resolving conflicts.
Read More About;
- All you want to know about the Construction Project Management
- 11 Best Project Management Online Courses For 2023 Updated
- Top 10 most popular civil engineering courses on Coursera [2023 Updated]
- All You Want To Know About PMP Certification In 2023
Qualifications Required for Construction Manager
Although there are various ways to enter this occupation, it is becoming increasingly important for construction managers to have a bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering, construction science, CM, architecture, or engineering.
As construction processes become more complex, employers place greater importance on specialized education.
Various colleges and universities offer accredited bachelor’s degree programs in construction science, building science, or construction engineering.
These programs include project control and management courses, design, construction methods and materials, cost estimation, building codes and standards, and construction contract administration. Courses in mathematics and statistics are also relevant.
How long does it take to become a construction manager?
To become a construction manager. One needs to follow this career path;
⬇️ Bachelor’s Degree In Civil Engineering
⬇️ Masters in Construction Management
⬇️ Work experience in construction, project management, or property development.
⬇️ Skillsets relevant if you want to be successful as a Construction Manager
- Occupational health and safety
- Commercial property regulation and laws
- Property development
- Project Management
- Sustainability practices
- Public management
Becoming a construction manager takes 10-15 years of industry experience.
How can I learn construction management?
As we said, construction management is one of the best career options in 2023 and beyond. Various universities, colleges, and institutes offer construction management degrees, certificates, and courses.
Jobseekers with a university degree and diploma in engineering with relevant work experience may qualify to become construction managers, although most are qualified to become self-employed general contractors.
Around 17 construction management colleges and institutes in India offer construction management or construction technology programs. An associate’s degree combined with work experience is typical for managers who supervise smaller projects. Also, few universities offer master’s degree (MBA) programs in management in construction.
Various e-learning platforms offered construction management courses from top universities like Yale, Michigan, Stanford, Columbia, and other reputed universities. Kindly check these Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2023 and enroll in the online courses offered.
You Might Be Interested In the;
- Construction Management MTech, ME Courses and Colleges In India
- MBA Construction Management Courses In India | Updated List 2023
- Construction Management Courses In Pune | Updated List 2023
- Construction Management Colleges In India Updated List 2023
What can I do with a degree in construction management?
After your master’s degree in construction management, there are various options to start your career. But, we suggest that you have some hands-on training on the construction projects before going ahead with any of this.
Earning a paper qualification is different, but working on an actual construction site will teach you lifelong lessons that will be more beneficial to making future career decisions.
You have the following option After your Construction Management;
Start a Job for in of the following job profile;
- Facilities Manager
- Site Engineer
- Building Surveyor
- Building Services Engineer
- Sustainability Consultant
You can create your free job profile on our job board and apply for construction jobs there.
Start your own Construction Business.
If you are interested in starting a construction business, we have written an excellent guide on creating a construction business, a construction company, in 2023. You can also check the Top 75 Best Construction Business Ideas For Beginners In 2023.
Responsibilities of a Construction Manager
The Construction Management Association of America (a US certification and advocacy body) says the 120 most common responsibilities of a Manager fall into the following seven categories of Construction:
- Project Management Planning
- Cost Management
- Time Management
- Quality Management
- Contract Administration
- Safety Management
- CM Professional Practices.
Construction Management Salary
You must have a question in your mind how much can you make with a construction management degree? Or how much does construction management makes?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics has set the average salary of a construction manager as about $92,260 per year In the USA.
All over the world, the demand for construction managers is expected to grow by 20 times in the next ten years. In India, a construction manager can expect a minimum of INR 10.2 Lakh per annum. (source: payscale)
Kindly check these Text Books and Reference Books on Construction Management.
Construction Manager Job Outlook 2023
The demand for qualified construction managers is increasing all over the world;
United States of America (USA) construction project management demand
In the United States, the employment of construction managers is projected to grow 10 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations.
Construction managers are expected to oversee the anticipated increase in construction activity over the coming decade. Those with a bachelor’s degree in construction science, construction management, civil engineering, and construction experience will have the best job prospects.
Enroll For Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2023
Australia’s construction project management demand
In Australia, the number of people working as Construction Managers (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past five years and is expected to grow strongly over the next five years: from 100,900 in 2018 to 114,300 by 2023.
Job openings can come from creating new jobs, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 54,000 job openings for over five years.
Read About Construction Management In Australia: Courses and Universities
India construction project management demand
The demand for Construction managers is continuously increasing every year; thousands of construction managers are hired by the various construction and infrastructure companies in India.
“India will need 70 lakh skilled project managers in the next ten years to avoid delays and escalation of budgets in projects in key industries like roads, railways, IT, and manufacturing,” said PMI India, Country Director Raj Kalady.
Read About Top Construction Management Courses and Construction Institutes In India
Canada construction project management demand
In Canada, the demand for Construction managers over the period 2019-2028, new job openings (arising from expansion demand and replacement demand) are expected to total 28,000, while 31,100 new job seekers (arising from school leavers, immigration, and mobility) are expected to be available to fill them.
Read More About;
- Construction Management Courses In Canada Updated 2023
- Commercial Manager Job Description and Salary Details
- What is the future of construction jobs?
- AI in Construction: How AI is shaping the future of the construction industry
- Best Construction Companies In Canada To Start Your Career In 2023
United Kingdom construction project management demand
As the private home-building sector continues to grow in the UK, the Construction Skills Network (CSN) predicts that there will be an increasing number of construction project managers needed between 2017 and 2023.
Download The Great Construction Career – A Career Blueprint
A global Demand for Construction Project Manager
The Project Management Institute’s (PMI) latest report has identified a rocketing global demand for project management talent across several project-oriented sectors, including construction.
Across all the countries analyzed, including the five we’ve looked at here, the report predicts more project manager positions in the manufacturing and construction sectors than any other – 9.7 million.
While many of these will become available as large numbers of project managers approach retirement, there is also predicted to be a high volume of newly-created positions.
Enroll For Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2023
What are the job opportunities after construction management?
Construction Management (CM) is a career that utilizes unique project management methods to manage the planning, design, and development of a project, from its start to its end. The purpose of Construction Management is to control a project’s time, cost, and quality.
Expert construction managers, called capital projects, may be reserved for lengthy, large-scale, high-budget undertakings (commercial real estate, transportation infrastructure, industrial facilities, and military infrastructure).
Construction Project Management (CM) is a professional service that uses specialized project management techniques to manage the planning, design, and construction of a project from its beginning to its end.
Professional construction managers may be kept for lengthy, large-scale, high-budget undertakings (commercial real estate, transportation infrastructure, industrial facilities, and military infrastructure), called principal projects.
Download: Effective Job Search Strategies for Engineers: Ebook
A construction manager is essential in ensuring that construction projects go smoothly from start to finish. They will need to manage a group of construction workers and ensure they operate equipment safely. They must also understand how to keep a construction project under budget.
Construction Project Management is the overall planning, coordination, and control of a project from beginning to completion. A construction manager holds the same responsibilities and completes the same processes in residential, commercial, civil, industrial, and environmental sectors.
Learn More About;
- How to Land Entry Level Job in Construction [2023 Updated Guide]
- Why should you study construction management in 2023?
- Project Manager Job Description and Salary Details [2023 Updated]
- Project Management Skills Every Project Manager Needs
- Build a Rock-Solid Foundation For Your Dream Life
There are many job opportunities available for those with a construction management degree. Some of the most popular positions include project manager, construction superintendent, and construction estimator, project manager, site manager, construction superintendent, and estimator.
With a degree in construction management, you will be able to find a job in almost any area of the country. You can also work in a variety of different industries, including residential, commercial, and industrial construction.
Following are the major job profiles available for construction professionals in a typical construction company.
- Project Manager
- Construction Manager
- Design Manager
- Project Co-ordinator
- Planning Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Field Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Quantity Surveyor
- Project Document Controller
- Scheduler / Scheduling Engineer
Learn About Construction Job Titles and Descriptions In the Construction Industry
Where to search for Construction management jobs?
There are many places to search for construction management jobs. One of the best places to start is with online job boards. These job boards will typically have a wide variety of construction management jobs listed, making it easy to find one that matches your skills and experience.
Here are five great resources to find the correct position for you.
Indeed is a great place to start your search for civil construction management jobs. You can browse through all of the current openings and filter by location, occupation, and company size.
LinkedIn is an excellent resource for finding construction management jobs and networking with potential employers. If you haven’t already created a LinkedIn profile, now is the time to do so. Check this LinkedIn Jobs Search Guide | How to find jobs on LinkedIn in 2023?
3. The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
It also maintains an extensive job database, You can also check out career websites for specific construction management careers, such as the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) website. You can narrow your search by location, skill set, or category (such as civil engineering technician jobs).
Monster is another excellent resource for finding construction manager jobs. You can search by city, state, or country on this website. You can filter by company size and job type (full-time, part-time, contract).
If you’re looking for a job in a specific city or region, Monster.com is a great resource. You can search by city or state and view all available positions.
5. Google is another great resource for finding jobs and hiring managers.
Type “construction management jobs” or “construction manager jobs” into the Google search bar, and you’ll be presented with a list of results that include current and past job openings from companies all over the United States. Also, check this valuable resource on how to use Google for job search effectively.
Finally, don’t forget to check out websites dedicated specifically to finding construction management jobs,
Construction management involves planning, organizing, managing, and successfully constructing all aspects of a construction project. Proper management of a construction project from the initial to the completion step.
CM refers to aspects like planning, managing, and organizing all the needed works to construct a foundation. Check these online courses to start your construction management career. You can also check this excellent resource, Career Options After Civil Engineering BE/B.Tech Bachelor Degree.
It takes control of a project from its initial inception to its completion stages. Construction managers deal with the overall coordination, planning, budgeting, and timing.
For the last few years, the construction industry has been changing with more technology. Many construction software has made it easier for construction managers to perform their jobs more efficiently and precisely.
Download: Civil Engineering Careers Blueprint eBook: The Great Construction Career
Construction Management FAQs
Yes, Construction management is a promising career with growing job opportunities. According to the BLS, the employment of construction managers is projected to grow 11 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations.
• Site Engineer
• Planning Engineer
• Project Engineer
• Project Control Engineer
• Commercial Manager
• Construction Manager
• Building Surveyor
• Building Services Engineer
• Sustainability Consultant
• Facilities Manager
• CAD Technician
You must have completed a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or any relevant field to become a Construction Manager.
• Project Management Planning
• Cost Management
• Time Management.
• Quality Management
• Contract Administration
• Safety Management