Last Updated on October 2, 2020 by Admin
Construction management (CM) is a professional service that uses techno-scientific, project management techniques to manage the planning, design, and construction of a project, from its beginning to its end. Read to know more about the construction management career and job opportunities for the engineers. Kindly watch this video to learn more about construction management.
What does A Construction Management Do?
Construction Project Management (CPM) is the overall planning, coordination, and control of a project from beginning to completion. CPM is directed at meeting a client’s requirements in order to produce a functionally and economically viable project.
In construction management, a construction manager will supervise and manage contractors and laborers at construction sites. Time to time they meet and discuss projects with architects, specialized trade employees, and civil engineers on projects or upcoming builds. They are responsible to address emergencies, work delays, or any other problems that affect the construction project.
- Project Management Career: A Complete Guide for 2020
- BIM | Building Information Modeling | A Great Career Option For Engineers
- The Great Construction Career: A Career Blueprint
- Digital Construction | What Is Digital Construction Management?
Why Construction Management as a Career Option?
A construction manager holds the same responsibilities and performs the same processes in each sector. A construction manager can be distinguished on the basis of his knowledge of the construction site. This may include different types of equipment, building construction techniques, materials, subcontractors, and possible locations.
We are getting a lot of queries like Is construction manager a good career? What are the job career and job opportunities in construction management? In 2020 and beyond construction management is one of the best career options for civil engineers and architects.
Construction management is also called as a Construction Project Management. The place of work is called the construction industry and it is composed of five sectors- residential, commercial, heavy civil, industrial, and environmental.
The construction industry is comprised of five sectors:
- Heavy Civil Engineering
What is the difference between the project manager and construction manager?
In a construction project, the construction manager oversees on-site operations, such as personnel, materials, and the construction budget, and his/her role is limited to the construction projects only.
While, Project managers oversee all phases of the project, from marketing to administrative needs. The project manager, on the other hand, is more responsible for the project budget and the timeline.
For example, a construction manager may only oversee the construction of the building itself, whereas a project manager will run all aspects of the project, from selecting the site to land procurement too.
A Construction manager oversees all construction activities. The project manager has a greater responsibility to the project, as he/she oversees more than the construction process. Therefore, a project manager will often supervise a construction manager.
The Scope of Construction Management
- The main purpose of CM is to control project time, cost, and quality. CM is compatible with all project delivery systems.
- To serve the clients best interest first and also is an owner’s representatives
- Reduce overall project costs, contract negotiation, reducing change orders, orders reduction in time, and elimination of unnecessary scope and cost.
- Advising the team for best results
- Enhance quality control to reduce the potential for defects and poor workmanship.
- Provide realistic and reliable budgets and protecting the Owner from unnecessary liability.
- Optimize and accelerate the design and construction schedule.
- Provide cost-effective document controls,
- Protect the Owner from unnecessary liability.
- Provide management expertise, applying resources wherever needed.
- What is a Project Management Audit?
- What are some of the best construction management books?
- 5 Reasons Why Managers Need to Learn Project Management Basics
The Functions of Construction Management
The main Six functions of the Construction Management typically include the following;
- Project Management Planning: Defining project objectives and plans including a description of the scope, budgeting, scheduling, setting performance requirements, and selecting project participants. Project managers must define workers’ tasks, and estimate the duration of each activity. This information is necessary when planning out a project thoroughly. Without a great construction plan, it is challenging to develop a budget and work schedule.
- Cost Management: Understanding the costs of a project is a necessary part of managing construction. Project managers use the budget to determine the total costs and returns expected from a particular project. Understanding one’s budget can help build the payment table. Project managers use the budget and plan to determine when steps are complete. Sometimes project managers request payment at the completion of each step. Maximizing resource efficiency through the procurement of labor, materials, and equipment.
- Time Management: The ability to use time wisely and efficiently is an important skill needed for someone in construction management and is the reason that it is considered one of the key functions of construction management.
- Quality Management: Construction management will need to analyze their work practices to see if they are up to par, determine if the material used is standard quality, and ensure that the finished product is protected from any potential harm or damage that may come to it. Without quality management, it is harder to win bids from other
- Contract Administration: The management team completes the project to contract, and can ensure this by using the original contract documents, and analyzing and observing the overall progress of the construction project.
- Safety Management: In order to safely start a project, a manager must first plan ahead and determine all the potential safety hazards for each job. By implementing safety protocols such as personal protective equipment and zoning, managers can prevent injury to both workers and bystanders.
Construction manager needs to implement various operations through proper coordination and control of planning, design, estimating, contracting, and construction in the entire process. and by developing effective communications and mechanisms for resolving conflicts.
Read More About;
- All you want to know about the Construction Project Management
- 11 Best Project Management Online Courses For 2020 Updated
- All You Want To Know About PMP Certification In 2020
Qualifications Required for Construction Manager
Although there are various ways to enter this occupation, it is becoming increasingly important for construction managers to have a bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering, construction science, CM, architecture, or engineering.
As construction processes become more complex, employers are placing greater importance on specialized education.
Various colleges and universities offer accredited bachelor’s degree programs in construction science, building science, or construction engineering.
These programs include courses in project control and management, design, construction methods and materials, cost estimation, building codes and standards, and contract administration. Courses in mathematics and statistics are also relevant.
How long does it take to become a construction manager?
To become a construction manager. One needs to follow this career path;
⬇️Bachelor Degree In Civil Engineering
⬇️Masters in Construction Management
⬇️Work experience in the field of construction, project management, or property development.
⬇️skillsets relevant if you want to be successful as a Construction Manager
- Occupational health and safety
- Commercial property regulation and laws
- Property development
- Project Management
- Sustainability practices
- Public management
It takes around 10-15 years of construction industry experience to become a construction manager.
How can I learn construction management?
As we said, construction management is one of the best career options in 2020 and beyond. There are various universities, colleges, and institutes offering construction management degrees, certificates, and courses.
Jobseekers with a university degree and diploma in engineering with relevant work experience may qualify to become a construction manager, although most are qualified to become self-employed general contractors.
In India, around 17 construction management colleges and institutes offer construction management or construction technology programs. An associate’s degree combined with work experience is typical for managers who supervise smaller projects. Also, few universities offer master’s degree programs in management in construction.
Various e-learning platforms offered the construction management courses from top universities like Yale, Michigan, Stanford, Columbia, and other reputed universities. Kindly check this Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2020 and enroll for the online courses offered by them.
You Might Be Interested In;
- Construction Management MTech, ME Courses and Colleges In India
- MBA Construction Management Courses In India | Updated List 2020
- Construction Management Courses In Pune | Updated List 2020
- Construction Management Colleges In India Updated List 2020
What can I do with a degree in construction management?
After your master’s degree in construction management, there are various options to start your career. But, we suggest before going ahead with any of this you must have some hands-on training on the construction projects.
Earning a paper qualification is a different thing but working on an actual construction site will teach you life long lessons which will be more beneficial to take future career decisions.
You have the following option After your Construction Management;
Start a Job for in of the following job profile;
- Facilities Manager
- Site Engineer
- Building Surveyor
- Building Services Engineer
- Sustainability Consultant
You can create your free job profile at our job board and start applying for the construction jobs out there.
Start your own Construction Business
If you are interested to start a construction business, we have written an awesome guide on how to start a construction business, a construction company in 2020 and you can also, check Top 75 Best Construction Business Ideas For Beginners In 2020.
Responsibilities of a Construction Manager
The Construction Management Association of America (a US certification and advocacy body) says the 120 most common responsibilities of a Manager fall into the following 7 categories Construction:
- Project Management Planning
- Cost Management
- Time Management
- Quality Management
- Contract Administration
- Safety Management
- CM Professional Practices.
Construction Manager Salary
You must have a question in your mind how much you can make with a construction management degree? or how much does construction management makes?
Bureau of Labor Statistics has set the average salary of a construction manager is about $92,260 per year In the USA.
All over the world, the demand for construction managers is expected to grow by 20 times in the next ten years. In India, a construction manager can expect a minimum salary of INR 10 Lakh per annum. (source: payscale)
Read To Know Books on CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT
Construction Manager Job Outlook 2020
The demand for qualified construction managers are increasing all over the worlds;
United State of America (USA) construction project management demand
In the United States, employment of construction managers is projected to grow 10 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations.
Construction managers are expected to be needed to oversee the anticipated increase in construction activity over the coming decade. Those with a bachelor’s degree in construction science, construction management, or civil engineering, coupled with construction experience, will have the best job prospects.
Australia construction project management demand
In Australia, the number of people working as Construction Managers (in their main job) grew very strongly over the past 5 years and is expected to grow strongly over the next 5 years: from 100,900 in 2018 to 114,300 by 2023.
Job openings can come from new jobs being created, but most come from turnover (workers leaving).
There are likely to be around 54,000 job openings for over 5 years.
India construction project management demand
The demand for Construction managers continuously increasing every year, thousands of construction managers are hired by the various construction and infrastructure companies in India.
“India will need 70 lakh, skilled project managers, in the next 10 years in order to avoid delays and escalation of budgets in projects in key industries like roads, railways, IT and manufacturing,” said PMI India, Country Director Raj Kalady.
Canada construction project management demand
In Canada, the demand for Construction managers, over the period 2019-2028, new job openings (arising from expansion demand and replacement demand) are expected to total 28,000, while 31,100 new job seekers (arising from school leavers, immigration and mobility) are expected to be available to fill them.
Read More About;
- Construction Management Courses In Canada Updated 2020
- Best Construction Companies In Canada To Start Your Career In 2020
United Kingdom construction project management demand
As the private homebuilding sector continues to grow in the UK, the Construction Skills Network (CSN) predicts that there will be an increasing number of construction project managers needed between 2017 and 2021.
A global Demand for Construction Project Manager
The Project Management Institute’s (PMI) latest report has identified a rocketing global demand for project management talent across a number of project-oriented sectors, including construction.
Across all the countries analyzed, which includes the five we’ve looked at here, the report predicts more project manager positions in the manufacturing and construction sectors than any other – 9.7 million to be exact.
While many of these will become available as large numbers of project managers approach retirement, but there are also predicted to be a high volume of newly-created positions.
The Job Profiles In Construction Management
Construction Management (CM) is a career that utilizes unique, project management methods to manage the planning, design, and development of a project, from its start to its end. The purpose of Construction Management is controlling a project’s time, cost and quality.
Expert construction managers may be reserved for lengthy, large-scale, high budget undertakings (commercial real estate, transportation infrastructure, industrial facilities, and military infrastructure), called capital projects.
Construction Project Management (CM) is a professional service that uses specialized, project management techniques to manage the planning, design, and construction of a project, from its beginning to its end.
Professional construction managers may be kept for lengthy, large-scale, high budget undertakings (commercial real estate, transportation infrastructure, industrial facilities, and military infrastructure), called principal projects.
A construction manager plays an essential role in ensuring that construction projects go smoothly from start to finish. He or she will need to manage a group of construction workers and assure that they are operating equipment in a safe manner. It is also essential that they understand how to keep a construction project under budget at all times.
Construction Project Management is the overall planning, coordination, and control of a project from beginning to completion. A construction manager holds the same responsibilities and completes the same processes in residential, commercial, heavy civil, industrial, and environmental sectors.
Learn More About;
- Project Management Skills Every Project Manager Needs
- Build a Rock-Solid Foundation For Your Dream Life
In a typical construction company following are the major job profiles are available for construction professionals.
- Project Manager
- Construction Manager
- Design Manager
- Project Co-ordinator
- Planning Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Field Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Quantity Surveyor
- Project Document Controller
- Scheduler / Scheduling Engineer
Construction management involves planning, organizing, and managing and successful construction of all aspects of a construction project. Proper management of a construction project from the initial step to the final completion step.
CM refers to all the aspects like, planning, managing, and organizing all the works that are needed to construct a foundation. Check these online courses to start your construction management career.
It is taking control of a project from it’s initial inception to its final completion stages. Construction managers deal with the overall coordination, planning, budgeting, and timing as well.
The construction industry has been changing for the last few years with the origin of more technology being utilized. A lot of construction software has made it easier for construction managers to perform their jobs more efficiently and precisely.