Last Updated on March 24, 2022 by Admin
Here we have discussed the various career options after civil engineering. This is for all Civil Engineering students and fresh graduates looking for work opportunities after completing their B.Tech/B.E. undergraduate degree course. This guide is also helpful for the students and fresher candidates of civil engineering polytechnic diplomas.
Civil engineering graduates, i.e., civil engineers, can work on any infrastructure project. This includes constructing and maintaining bridges, power stations, airports, dams, roads & highways, expressways, waterways, industrial units, manufacturing plants, buildings, factories, etc.
If you are interested in the design, construction, and creativity of a natural or physical build environment,
then a civil engineering career is the best choice to prove your ability and find the job you wish.
You Might Be Interested In;
- Civil Engineering Career: A Guide To Start Your Construction Career In 2022
- Why is Career Planning essential for Engineering Graduates?
- Is a career in construction suitable for me?
- Civil Engineering Govt Jobs 2022 | How To Find Govt Jobs Online?
The Best Career Options after Civil Engineering
Civil engineering is the second oldest professional degree in engineering after Mechanical Engineering.
It was known as “Military Engineering” Some of the greatest and globally famous monuments like the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Dubai Resort, the great wall of China, and recently Burj Khalifa, etc., are the best examples of how essential and valuable branch of engineering is this.
If you want to make your civil engineering career, you have the following options in 2022.
We have listed down the best possible career options after civil engineering one can choose from after completing his/her engineering degree in BE/B.Tech.
We have found the seven best civil engineering career options for all civil engineering graduates to explore careers and job opportunities in 2022.
- Free Career Assessment and Career Aptitude Test
- Civil Engineering Careers Blueprint eBook; The Great Construction Career
- How To Face Civil Engineering Interview In 2022
- Top 27 Emerging Trends In Civil Engineering To Watch In 2022
1. Start a Job/Internship
If you find it challenging to get a job, it is always advisable to get into an internship and apprenticeship in any company related to your core domain. Check this informative article on the Building Information modeling (BIM) Career option for civil engineers and architects.
If you are on LinkedIn or have not started yet using LinkedIn, check this A Step-By-Step Guide To Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile In 2022.
We have also created a Job Board exclusively for the construction, Real estate, Infrastructure, Oil & Gas, and Project industry. You can register here and start applying for the jobs posted on our website.
Also, read this excellent article about the Various Industry Sectors for civil engineers to Find Jobs in 2022?
- How to Find a Civil Engineering Internship
- How to Write a Civil Engineering Resume
- Civil Engineering Books, Textbooks, and Reference Books
- Why Civil Engineering is a Great Career for Girls
In India, a student who has cleared the degree in civil engineering can get the salary offer started from 3 lakh per annum up to 20+ lakh per annum.
In the overseas countries, i.e., USA, UK, Canada, etc., the salary starts from $60,000/annum to $100,000/annum.
There are no criteria for salary for an exceptional and experienced candidate.
Learn More About;
- Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers PDF eBOOK
- Effective Job Search Strategies for Engineers
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile In 2022
- Top 50 H.R. Interview Questions and Answers for Engineers
2. Management Degree (Higher studies) In India
MBA in Construction Management, Project management, Real estate Management, Infrastructure Management is some of the courses offered by the Indian universities and institutes that are very much in demand.
You can try and attempt the CAT examination with your engineering degree. If you are fortunate enough, you may get into some of the top IIMs.
Suppose you wish to shift to management after Civil engineering. In that case, you can also think about Construction Management, Project Management, Real Estate Management, Infrastructure Finance & Management, and other related management programs.
Nowadays, companies are looking for candidates with exceptional techno-managerial skills to perform challenging work in a highly competitive environment.
You Might Be Interested In;
- Construction Management MTech, ME Courses and Colleges In India
- MBA Construction Management Courses In India | Updated List 2022
- Top Project Management Courses and Institutes In India 2022
- Top Construction Management Courses and Construction Institutes In India
3. Management Degree Course in the U.S., Canada, UK, South East Asia, and Australia
Depending on your score on GRE, preferably 300+, you can choose one of the top-ranking universities for an M.S. in civil engineering with a specialization of your choice in foreign universities. Kindly check this GMAT or GRE: Which Exam Is Right for Engineers?
Civil Engineers are always in demand all over the globe. You can always look for better career opportunities in foreign countries. You can look at it as one of the best civil engineering career options.
If you are looking to move to Canada, kindly check these construction management colleges offering various construction management courses in Canada.
Suppose you are interested in moving to Australia for your higher education after civil engineering. In that case, you can check these construction management courses in Australia offered by various universities and colleges in Australia in 2022.
Also, if you are planning to study management education in overseas countries, the knowledge of foreign languages is a must. It helps to find great career and job opportunities. Kindly check these highest-paid foreign languages to study in 2022.
- Construction Management Career; A Complete Guide for 2022
- Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2022
- What are some of the best construction management books?
- Free Career Assessment and Career Aptitude Test | Free Career Test
4. Higher Education in India through GATE Exam
You can give it a for M.E. or M.Tech in Civil Engineering with a specialization. After your M. Tech or M.E., you can also start your career in the construction sector. You can also create your career in academics as if you are interested in teaching.
The following are the specializations for the M.E. & M.Tech post-graduation degree course. Kindly check these top civil engineering colleges in India offering post-graduate engineering courses in India.
- Structural Engineering
- Environment Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Construction Management
- Traffic and Transportation Engineering
- Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Water Resource Engineering
- All you want to know about the Construction Project Management
- Estimation and Costing Interview Questions Free Online Practice Test
- Free Job Alerts From Constructionplacements
- Important Engineering Books and Construction Courses
5. Job opportunity in Public sector Undertakings (PSUs)
If you are technically strong, you can apply for PSUs. Nowadays, they are mainly dependent on the GATE score. Almost all government companies publish job advertisements regularly in national newspapers.
Civil engineers hold practically all civil service positions in public works departments. This is also one of the best civil engineering career options. So, prepare hard for GATE. Kindly check and apply for the latest government engineering jobs.
Various Government departments like the Central public works department (CPWD), Department of Atomic energy, etc., conduct their exams for recruitment. Following are the major Public Sector Companies hiring Civil Engineering Graduates:
NTPC – National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
BHEL – Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
ONGC – Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
HAL – Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
GAIL – Gas Authority of India Limited
SAIL – Steel Authority of India Limited
IOCL – Indian Oil Corporation
BSNL – Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
ISRO – Indian Space Research Organization
Kindly check this list of the Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) companies, visit their career pages and start applying for the latest job recruitment.
- Career and job opportunities in the AEC industry in 2022
- What is HVAC? Career and Job Opportunities in HVAC [2022 Updated]
- What is Power BI? Career and Job Opportunities in Power BI
- A look at the future of operations management-related careers in 2022
You can also write various Government Exams for class one posts in various government engineering departments. You can prepare for the exams like UPSC & IES: Indian Engineering Services to secure your job in the government department; you can go for a CSIR fellowship.
State Public work departments (PWD) and other engineering departments have regular recruitment for civil engineering graduates, and it is comparatively easy to crack.
You are also eligible for Bank Jobs in India. (Bank P.O.’s) one of the very lucrative career options nowadays. Most of the government engineering companies post jobs for civil engineers. This is one of the best civil engineering career options. Kindly check and apply for the latest government engineering jobs.
- What is the future of construction jobs?
- How to get the best jobs in 2022
- Data Science Career and Jobs in 2022: A Complete Guide
- Energy Industry Overview: Career and Jobs in 2022
7. Start a Civil Engineering and Construction Business in India
Although there are very few names in India, the picture changes quickly. This is an untapped market and therefore has the most significant potential. Civil Engineers can team to innovate and come up with ideas that better the process of design & construction.
A Bachelor’s degree doesn’t teach enough theoretical or practical knowledge for you to meet the industry’s requirements, be it the private sector or the public sector.
Why is there always a year-long probationary training period for all graduate-level entrants? And the work you do is more or less worthless, not involving many things you learned in your course. We recommend some construction business management refreshers programs before putting your hands in any business.
To start with a construction business in India is one of the best civil engineering career options & very lucrative opportunities for young people; because of the Government policies to foster the startup culture in India, many prop-tech companies have started with new technology-oriented construction businesses. and the industry is flowering with these new businesses.
We have written an excellent article on “How To Start A Construction Business, Construction Company In 2022” and “Top 75 construction business ideas“. Kindly go through these articles and take an informed decision to start your construction venture in 2022.
- Top Business skills for startups [ 2022 Updated]
- Top 10 Most Popular Free Online Business Courses For 2022
- Learn Top Business Careers and Skills in 2021 on edX
- What Does a Business Analyst Do? How to Become a Business Analyst in 2022
A Civil Engineering Career is one the most searched, most discussed, and probably the hottest topic in terms of job availability in today’s time in most countries around the globe.
Finding the right career in any field of interest is one of the most challenging jobs for those confused about their futuristic plan but flexible in any working environment. Still, if the proper guidance and information about the subject are provided, the issue can be easily solved with greater precision without losing valuable time. You can also consider these top career options for engineering graduates.
The global market is becoming more demanding and challenging for new arrivals with every passing day. So, it is necessary to have proper knowledge about the concerned field before opting for it as a career. Before opting for civil engineering as a career, one must answer some actual questions that play a vital role in anyone’s career.