Last Updated on May 1, 2022 by Admin
Take these top 10 most popular civil engineering courses on Coursera offered by various top universities and institutes worldwide. For most of these courses, you can even enroll for free.
Courses include recorded auto-graded and peer-reviewed assignments, video lectures, and community discussion forums. When you complete a course, you’ll be eligible to receive a shareable electronic Course Certificate for a small fee. Kindly take this Free Online Civil Engineering Practice Test | Preparation Test to test your civil engineering subject knowledge.
Top 10 Civil Engineering Courses on Coursera
Did you know that civil engineering is a discipline that applies the principles of math, physics, and social sciences to analyze natural phenomena? It also covers the planning and designing of construction projects. One of the best ways to study civil engineering is taking courses on Coursera. The courses are designed for everyone, from those new to the field to those who want more experience in it.
#1. Construction Management Specialization
Offered By Columbia University
Construction Project Management and Planning. Develop and understand the foundations of project planning and scheduling techniques.
The Construction Management specialization is curated for professionals in the construction and civil engineering industry looking to advance their careers. Through this specialization, students will gain comprehensive industry knowledge and the latest trends and development within the industry.
This 5-course specialization will cover the significant facets of construction management, including project initiation and planning, scheduling techniques and procedures, cost estimating and control, and construction project financials. After students complete this specialization, they will have gained essential skills and tools to stay relevant and ahead of the curve in construction management.
What you will learn:
- Major construction management fundamentals,
- essential project scheduling techniques,
- types of cost estimates,
- and monitoring project cash flow
- Construction Industry Overview,
- Sustainability in the Construction Industry,
- Building Information Modeling and Technology Trends in Construction.
Skills you will gain:
- Cost Estimate
- Cost Control
- Real Estate finance
- Project Management
- Construction Management
- Work Breakdown Structure
- Project Planning
- Linear Scheduling Method
- Program Evaluation And Review Technique (PERT)
- Critical Path Method (CPM)
- Construction Project Management
- Construction Scheduling
- Construction Cost Estimating and Cost Control
- Construction Finance
- The Construction Industry: The Way Forward
- Top 10 Free Construction Courses On Coursera [2022 Updated]
- Get unlimited access to 3,000 Plus online courses on Coursera
- Top Mechanical Engineering Online Courses For 2022
- Revit Modeler Job Description and Salary Details
#2. Renewable Energy and Green Building Entrepreneurship
Offered By Duke University
After completing this course, students will be able to: –
- Define key business opportunities, challenges, and potential solutions in the renewable energy and green building sectors. – Analyze a successful business in renewable energy or green building.
- Identify 2 to 3 problems you might solve with either renewable energy or green building products or services.
- Plan for engaging with investors who might finance a new business.
- Take real-world first steps towards launching a new business or corporate initiative by applying the 1-page business idea summary template and the Business Model Canvas to generate and refining your new business ideas. Consider this one of the best civil engineering courses on Coursera.
Skills you will gain:
- Business Modeling
- Renewable Energy
- Startup Company
- Welcome to the course
- Get Inspired — The Power of 3: Entrepreneurship + Green Building + Renewable Energy
- Dive into Business — Real Opportunity. Real Challenges.
- Blast Off — Moving from Ideas to Business Implementation
#3. Autodesk Certified Professional: Revit for Structural Design Exam Prep
Offered By Autodesk
About the Autodesk Certified Professional: Revit for Structural Design exam: A successful candidate for the Autodesk Certified Professional: Revit for Structural Design certification has a combination of approximately 400-1200 hours of training and hands-on experience with Revit in a structural environment; is familiar with product features and capabilities; and is knowledgeable in relevant workflows, processes, and project objectives.
What you will learn:
- Work with structural components, selection sets, and element materials.
- Create and manage views and annotations, work with revisions, and set up and manage sheets. Use workflows and processes such as work-sharing, phasing, design options, and project management.
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge required for taking the Autodesk Certified Professional: Revit for Structural Design exam.
Skills you will gain:
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Autodesk Revit Architecture
- Structural Components, Modeling, and Materials.
- Families, Documentation, Views, and Revit Project Management.
#4. Mastering bitumen for better roads and innovative applications
Offered by École des Ponts ParisTech
Skills you will gain:
- Bitumen market, generalities, the manufacture of bitumen, transport, use of bitumen, main developments, and alternatives.
- Constitution, structure, and characterization of bitumen – specifications-rheology
- Modifications of bitumen and applications (roads, roofing,…)
- Health, Safety, Environment & Quality concerns regarding bitumen, and examples of research & innovation actions
#5. BIM: from sketch to digital twin
Offered by Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
If you want to master the essential tools of modern design and civil engineer and to look into the future of architectural design, construction, and maintenance of buildings, this course is for you. Building information models and digital twins became necessary in planning, design, building design, and building operations.
During the course, you will acquire basic building information modeling skills, create your project, learn how to draw up architectural and construction drawings, and develop a construction schedule using modern software systems such as Autodesk Revit and Navisworks.
As you explore advanced BIM tools, you will learn how to script in Dynamo and collaborate on projects and construction in BIM360. In the final part of the course, you will know what the digital twin of the building is and how it can predict all the operational costs of building maintenance. Best civil engineering courses on Coursera.
We hope that the course “BIM: from sketch to digital twin” will guide you into the world of Building Information Modeling. Upon completion of the course, you will receive the core competencies required to successfully launch your career in Building Information Modeling.
Skills you will gain:
- BIM Concept
- Building Information Modeling
- Basic work with BIM-Information
- Coordination, Management, and Quality Control
- Advanced BIM tools
- Digital twins of buildings
#6. Autodesk Certified Professional: Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design Exam Prep
Offered By Autodesk
Prove to potential employers that you’re up to the task by becoming an Autodesk Certified Professional. This online course from Autodesk prepares you by offering an overview of skills that match what is covered in the Autodesk Certified Professional: Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design exam.
What you will learn:
- Work with point and point groups, parcels, surveying tools, surfaces, alignments, and profiles.
- Create corridors, sections, pipes, and pressure networks.
- Use workflows for plan production, such as creating note label styles, view frames and sheets, and data shortcuts.
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge required for taking the Autodesk Certified Professional: Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design exam. This is one of the best civil engineering courses on Coursera.
Skills You will gain.
- City Planning
- Autodesk Civil 3D
- Civil Engineering
- Points, Parcels, Surfaces, and Grading
- Alignments, Profiles, Corridors, Pipe Networks, and Plan Production
#7. Mastering Statics
offered By The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Statics is the most basic course in Mechanics. In this course, you will learn the conditions under which an object or a structure subjected to time-invariant (static) forces is in equilibrium – i.e., the conditions under which it remains stationary or moves with a constant velocity-.
You will also learn how to calculate the reaction forces and the internal forces experienced throughout the structure so that later you can properly design and size the foundation and the members of the system to assure the structure’s safety and serviceability. Best civil engineering courses on Coursera for civil engineering students.
This course is suitable for engineering disciplines such as civil engineering, architecture, mechanical engineering, aerospace.
Non-engineering domains may also find the course very useful, from archaeologists concerned about the stability of their excavation sites to dentists interested in understanding the forces transmitted through dental bridges to orthopedic surgeons concerned about the forces transmitted through the spine or a hip or knee joint.
The content will be primarily delivered using the light board. Prof. Katafygiotis is going to write and sketch with color markers directly on the board while facing you. You will have an exciting and interactive learning experience online!
- Understanding Forces and Moments
- Equivalent Systems of Forces and Equilibrium
- Stability and Static Determinacy
- Area properties and Moments of Inertia
- Internal Force Diagrams
- Static Analysis of a Structure
#8. Wood Science: Beyond Building
Offered by West Virginia University
The central question of this course: “why study wood?” If “why study wood” is the question, one answer would be that it is the only raw material available to us that is truly renewable in human life span terms. Wood is as important to society today as ever, despite the development of many artificial substitute materials, resource availability, and the community’s changing needs.
Some items on the list of wood products stay the same (lumber, plywood, and veneer for building construction, furniture, shipping pallets & crates and other containers & packaging materials, railroad ties, utility poles, chemical feedstocks, etc.). Best civil engineering courses on Coursera. Still, the list also keeps changing to meet new needs and challenges as the resource changes.
In short, wood is a far more diverse, green, and renewable resource than you might have imagined. Join us to learn about the critical role of wood in human history, civilization, and our future.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to: –
- Describe wood as raw material and its critical importance to the world economy and the people’s lives that make that economy work.
- Identify the projected trend for wood consumption to continue to grow in the coming years, despite the image of wood as a “low tech” material.
- Identify how wood’s properties can lead to its efficient and sustainable use.
- Identify wood’s positive role in boosting the world economy and ability to lead to unexpected vocations.
#9. BIM Application for Engineers
Offered By National Taiwan University (NTU)
To effectively reach the goal of learning, students will get familiar with the model-building process. The second module of the course will be on using Autodesk Revit to build BIM models. We will use an example case and guide students to create a 6-story BIM model from the CAD drawings step by step.
Then, in the following three modules, we will introduce three essential BIM applications in each module, namely clash detection, quantity takeoff, and 4D simulation. We will use Autodesk Revit and Navisworks to build our BIM models in this course.
- Modeling of a Building
- Model Integration and Clash Detection
- Quantity Takeoff
- 4D Simulation
#10. Fundamentals of Materials Science
Offered by Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Materials are the physical foundations for the development of science and technology. Human civilizations are historically designated by the evolution of materials, such as the Stone Age, the Bronze Age, and the Iron Age.
Nowadays, materials science and technology support most industrial sectors, including aerospace, telecommunications, transportation, architecture, infrastructure, etc. Fundamentals of Materials Science is a core module for undergraduates who majored in materials science and engineering. This is one of the best civil engineering courses on Coursera.
Prof. Guo Qiang, Prof. Reddy, and Liu Jing from Shanghai Jiao Tong University will teach this English course. An integrated approach of combining metallic, ceramic, and polymeric materials will be adopted in this course for the attendants to attain a deep understanding of the correlation of composition, microstructure, processing, and properties in materials science. Let’s gather in this course and explore the wonderland of materials together.
- In week 1, you will get a brief introduction to materials science and part 1 of module 1, including atomic bonding in solids, crystal lattices, and crystal structures of metals.
- In week 2, we will continue with part 2 of module 1, including crystallographic points, directions & planes, the crystal structure of ceramics, polymorphism & allotropy, the structure of polymers, and round up with the characterization of crystal structures.
- In week 3, we will start with part 1 of module 2, including the equilibrium concentration of point defects, point defects in ionic solids, the concept of dislocations, and their geometry.
- In week 4, we will finish module 2, including dislocations in natural crystals, their motion, elastic properties, forces, and surfaces & interfaces.
- In week 5, we will start with part 1 of module 3, including stress-strain curves, elastic & viscoelastic properties, slip mechanism, and twinning & kinking.
- In week 6, we will continue with part 2 of module 3, including grain refinement, solid solution strengthening, second phase & work hardening, and property evolution.
- In week 7, we will finish module 3, including all about the mechanical properties of ceramics, polymers, and composites.
- In week 8, we will introduce you in module 4 to the concepts of the kinetics of recovery and recrystallization, grain growth after recrystallization, and finally, dynamic recovery and dynamic recrystallization.
- In week 9, we will introduce you to part 1 of module 5, including the diffusion phenomena, Fick’s law, solutions to diffusion functions, and Kirkendall & Darken.
- In week 10, we will finish module 5, including the thermodynamics of diffusion, atomic mechanisms of distribution, and factors that affect distribution.
- In week 11, we will introduce part 1 of module 6, including the basics and thermodynamics of phase diagrams and the effect of pressure on binary systems’ free energy and free energy.
- In week 12, we will continue with part 2 of module 6, including the graphic construction of phase diagrams Gibbs phase rule. And the evolution of different phase diagrams.
- In week 13, we will continue with part 3 of module 6, including the spinodal decomposition, the lever rule, and binary phase diagrams. We will talk about the differences between steel and cast irons with the iron-carbon phase diagram.
- In week 14, we will finish module 6, including continuing our talk about the differences between steels and cast irons with the iron-carbon phase diagram, and we will talk about ternary phase diagrams.
- In week 15, we will introduce part 1 of module 7, including the basics of phase transformations and solidification, nucleation, heterogeneous vs. homogenous nucleation, and the temperature-time change.
- In week 16, we will finish module 6, introducing phase transformations in steels and alloy steels, precipitation, and precipitation in Al alloys.
Coursera offers several courses on civil engineering ranging from construction management to environmental conservation. The course materials can be viewed anytime, and you are never required to log in. You can also download videos or select transcripts for offline viewing. The instructors are fully qualified professionals in their fields, and reviewers found the material well-presented, easy to follow, and helpful for those preparing for civil engineering careers. Check this link for the complete list of the civil engineering courses on Coursera.