MEP Engineer is a professional classification responsible for planning and design in the area of Mechanical, Electrical and plumbing (MEP) system including developing policies standard, inspection procedure and evaluation tools for MEP matters along with prepare, review drawing, specification and cost estimates for the mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing. We are discussing here, what are the MEP Engineer Roles and Responsibilities Within Construction Company?
MEP Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
Working as part of the project management team, reporting to the Project Director, MEP Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the project relating to building services.
The role includes the management of the MEP team to ensure that the day to day duties are performed professionally and expeditiously to support the ongoing progress of the project.
The MEP team on site consists of the Lead Mechanical (MEP) Engineer, Electrical Engineer, and MEP Inspectors.
MEP consulting services are the key requirements of construction-related projects. No matter if you are an architect, an owner of a building project or an engineer; these services will make a difference in the value of the project. As a consulting firm, MEP advisors offer efficient services as compared to individual advisors.
Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing needs are the fundamental requirements of modern construction projects. Hiring an experienced MEP advisor can make a huge difference to meet the expected value of a project. The services of an MEP advisor must meet the following criteria to help you meet the required quality of a project.
Major Duties to be performed by MEP Engineer
The following are the major roles and responsibilities of MEP engineers.
- HVAC Expert
- Electrical Power And Lighting
- Fire Alarm Expertise
- Energy Management
- Attention To Details
- Responsive In Nature
General Roles and Responsibilities of MEP Engineer
- MEP engineer has to review plans and specifications according to the plan.
- MEP Engineer has to manage to oversee the work of subordinate staff contact architects or Engineers.
- MEP Engineer has to prepare plans, details, specified and cost estimated of plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and general piping system.
- MEP Engineer has to provide technical advice to staff designer, supervisor, inspector and contracting service provider, regarding installation and maintenance of MEP System.
- MEP System has to analyze mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing engineering problems and formulate solutions.
- MEP Engineer has to identify problems in design, plan, manage and deliver multiple projects.
- MEP Engineer has to plan, organize the review and evaluate the work of consultants, contractors, and others. MEP Engineer has to knowledge of MS Office, AutoCAD and Project management software.
- MEP Engineer has to prepare and deliver effective oral presentations whenever required.
- Advise the Project Director of any technical aspects of the mechanical services that may affect construction progress, e.g. quality or snag.
- Continually review the contractor’s construction schedule during the progress of the site works with regards to MEP services and report to the Project Director on the same.
- Manage the day to day work of the MEP team.
- In conjunction with the document controller, ensure that the filing/logging of the MEP documentation is undertaken in line with the project handbook and continually monitor the same.
- Advice on all issues regarding LEED and ensure that the appropriate documentation and information is provided to the appropriate authorities to obtain the LEED standard required on the project.
- Take part in risk workshops and report any risks associated with MEP installations or general projects to the Project Director.
- Review the Contractor’s installation method statements.
- Review Contractor’s shop drawings against the design [tender] drawings for compliance with the design intent and return to Project Director with appropriate comments/approval within the specified contractual period (normally 10 working days).
- Review contractor’s mechanical shop drawing in conjunction with the structural and electrical engineers to ensure engineering co-ordination and advise the Project Director accordingly.
- Where required prepare technical clarifications to the tendered design to suit specific on-site construction and co-ordination issues.
- Review Contractor’s mechanical services material proposals against specified technical performance requirements and advise the Project Director on the appropriateness of the proposals.
- Review Contractor’s proposed subcontractor(s) associated with the engineering works from a technical standpoint.
- Undertake general project site observation/inspection of the mechanical services works for Contractor’s adherence to the approved shop drawings and Consultant’s specification, good working practices, and construction schedule.
- Monitor and promote health and safety on the site. Record and report any breaches to the Project Manager. If required stop the construction works if unsafe practices are being followed.
- Be available to undertake off-site inspections of proposed equipment and materials as may be deemed necessary by the Project Manager.
- Undertake a prior review of the Contractor’s proposed mechanical system testing & commissioning methods and schedule – MEP Engineer roles and responsibilities.
- Witness on-site piped system pressure test, air conditioning duct leakage testing and another testing that may be required during the first fix works and advise the Project Director accordingly.
- On a spot basis, witness mechanical system final testing and commissioning.
- Review and comment on the Contractor’s testing and commissioning results and advise the Project Director accordingly.
- Maintain an on-going list of mechanical services defects for the contractor’s remedial action.
- Undertake final project snagging and prepare a list of defects for the Contractor’s action.
- Attend project, site progress and any mechanical services related technical meetings as directed by the project manager.
- Prepare draft site/engineer’s instructions, relating to the building mechanical services, as required and issue to the Project Manager.
- Provide advice to the Project Director in regard to any mechanical services related to variable costs that may be claimed by the Contractor during the course of the works.
- Review and comment on the Contractor’s Operation and Maintenance manuals.
The above are the important MEP engineer roles and responsibilities.
MEP Engineer Qualifications/Requirements
The following are the qualification requirements for becoming the MEP Engineers to carry out various MEP engineer roles and responsibilities.
- Mechanical or Electrical University degree in Engineering
- Working knowledge of plans, prints, specifications, and schematics associated with trade
- At least 5 years of construction experience with working knowledge of mechanical, electrical and plumbing
- Construction procedures and practices
- Computer literate
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills