Last Updated on January 8, 2023 by Admin
This career guide provides all the information for the MS in Construction Management in the USA. Learn more about the eligibility, Scope, Top universities, fees, scholarships, and everything you need to know about Construction Management courses in the USA.
People who pursue an MS in construction management in the USA are prepared for engineering, project management, and construction professions. Students who have earned a master’s degree in construction management in the USA are easily qualified for some executive roles and well-paying employment in the sector.
The top construction management MS degrees in the US paved the path for highly developed leadership and management skills for construction managers. These abilities are nonetheless restricted to the field they should work in.
The industry’s use of various development assignments has raised the need for construction managers. Most of the industry’s frontier businesses need highly skilled construction managers who can handle complex management responsibilities and construction technology.
Companies are prepared to hire construction managers with Construction Management Masters in the USA for various positions due to the high demand for their services. This applies to all businesses managing public, private, and commercial projects.
People who complete the MS in Construction Management program in the United States can access many job options. One area of study that has drawn many students from around the world is this one.
Students with a strong interest in engineering, construction, and architectural technology can benefit significantly from the degree.
Most students enroll in the course as a specialized study format for their MBAs. The course teaches project management, leadership, budgeting, and scheduling abilities.
In the US, field experience is not required for a master’s degree in construction management. However, most programs demand that students complete a capstone project, such as a thesis or final assignment.
- Construction Management Specialization
- Construction Project Management
- The Construction Industry: The Way Forward
- MSc Construction Management with BIM
Table of Contents
Scope of Construction Management in the USA
In the USA, construction management has an extensive range of applications. The fields of industrial management, civil engineering, and construction are all ideal places for graduates of master’s degree programs in construction management to find employment.
Most entry-level positions in this industry demand that applicants have a bachelor’s degree and no work experience. Senior positions in real estate, logistics, and public planning are possible career paths after earning an MS in construction management.
In the USA, the breadth of construction management allows degree holders to pursue careers as civil engineers and construction managers. Construction managers are expected to oversee projects from beginning to end while employed by various public and private organizations.
Planning, budgeting, coordinating, and meticulously managing the various construction and building elements are part of their job description. Construction manager job openings are anticipated to increase by 11% shortly.
A profitable MS in Construction Management from one of the best business schools in the world can be obtained in the USA. This is why:
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the employment of construction managers will increase at a 10% CAGR through 2028. Project management would create an additional 46,200 jobs, which is 5% more than the average for all occupations.
- Some of the best universities in the world for studying construction management are in the US. For international students seeking to pursue a degree overseas, these provide top-notch faculties as well as opportunities for in-depth training and research.
- Over 100 academic institutions in the US provide courses in construction management, building science, science, and other relevant fields.
- In the US, a construction manager’s annual compensation is, on average, INR 72 lakh. Even the lowest-paid construction management specialists could easily earn more than INR 50 lakh per year, while the highest-paid earned close to INR 1 crore per year.
- In the US, the unemployment rate for construction managers is on the lower end of the scale.
Eligibility for MS in Construction Management in USA
The majority of American colleges make it a point to evaluate the commitment, purpose, and quality of candidates for the Masters in Construction Management program.
Admissions are only granted until the university administration is entirely pleased with the caliber of the applicants.
This means that students who want to enroll in the top US colleges must be eligible to receive an MS in construction management. The deciding factor in the MS in Construction Management in the USA criteria is the specific university in question.
The students’ analytical, communicative, and mathematical skills must be evaluated to qualify for the MS in Construction Management in the USA.
Typically, the fall and spring semesters are when applications for the MS in Construction Management in the USA are accepted. International candidates must submit their online admission applications six months before the deadline.
These are the criteria for a master’s degree in construction management in the USA:
- CGPA – Students must achieve a CGPA of 2.25 or higher to demonstrate their eligibility for the MS in Construction Management program in the United States. Additionally, they need to guarantee that their backlog history is minimal.
- A strong GRE score is a further requirement for admission to the Masters in Construction Management program in the US.
- The Graduate Record Examination, sometimes known as the GRE, evaluates applicants on the analytical writing, mathematical, critical thinking, and verbal reasoning abilities needed to enroll in various courses.
- For students who want to pursue a Masters in construction management in the US, GRE scores are crucial. A 290 on the GRE is excellent, and a higher score ensures your entrance.
- Without GRE – Universities in the USA also offer MS in Construction Management admission without the GRE. Please have a look.
- Letter of Recommendation – The letter of recommendation is an essential document that the candidate must provide with their application. Given that it is written by a teacher, boss, or academic dean, this letter gives the student’s application more weight.
- By outlining the student’s academic background, it suggests the student to institutions that they take into account their applications for a master’s degree in construction management. The application process for US universities calls for a total of three recommendation letters.
- Statement of Purpose – This crucial piece serves as a mirror, reflecting the candidates’ profiles and personalities to the admissions committee. When it comes to student enrollment, this letter is crucial.
- Counseling assistance is accessible for those who lack the writing skills to frame such letters.
- English Language Requirement – The minimum IELTS requirement for an MS in Construction Management in the USA is 6.0 or 6.5 (generally), and the minimum TOEFL requirement for an MS in Construction Management in the USA is 79. However, this varies depending on the university to which you are applying.
Required documents, including the visa procedure for MS in Construction Management in the USA
The following documents must be provided by applicants when they apply for an MS in construction management in the USA:
- A completed application forms
- A receipt showing the nonrefundable admission application cost was paid.
- Maximum 3 LORs (Letter of Recommendations)
- A resume or CV that lists prior academic and work experience
- Review of all English-language academic transcripts from prior institutions of higher learning
- Evidence of GRE score gains
- Verification of IELTS/TOEFL scores
- Statement of Objectives
- A passport photo’s
- A financial statement demonstrating the capacity to pay for expenses for at least a year.
- Any scholarship documentation
Here are the necessary paperwork and documentation for student visas:
- A passport whose validity lasts for six months after the end of your course.
- The DS-160 and Form I-20.
- The payment of the application fee.
- Academic transcripts and the original of any provisional certificates or mark sheets.
- The results of exams include the TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, and GRE.
- Documentation showing that you will return home following the course, such as return air tickets. Students should have enough money in their bank accounts to cover their living and tuition expenses for at least one year.
- Bank statements and details on scholarships and sponsors can be used as proof of money.
- Passing the visa interview is likewise required.
- When registering at the database for foreign visitors, you must finish the SEVIS I-901 online form. Additionally crucial is making SEVIS fees for the visa.
The process for applying for a visa is really simple. You must print out your completed application form, attach your photo, and sign it for the interview.
Make an appointment for your interview at the US Consulate or embassy closest to you. Candidates between 14 and 79 must be present for the interview.
Pay your application fee and gather all necessary materials for the interview. After your visa has been granted, show up for the personal interview and pay the issuance fee.
MS in Construction Management in USA Cost of Study
Fees for an MS in Construction Management in the USA can vary depending on the program a student chooses. Essential variables that affect the MS Construction Management fees in the USA.
These considerations include the type of institution, the program’s length, and whether an online or on-campus version of the course is offered. The cost of an MS in Construction Management in the USA is significantly influenced by location.
Public colleges generally charge overseas applicants more than those from the same state. There are several master’s programs available online with a standard tuition price for all students, regardless of whether they are in the US.
According to the institutions, the typical MS in Construction Management program in the USA lasts 1 and 2 years.
According to polls on the price of construction management in the USA, the cost is around $25,000. For students who are from other countries, this can go up.
The estimated costs, which do not include living expenses, food prices, educational supply costs, or transport charges, might range from $10,000 to US $30,000 per person.
There are many costs that you need to consider. Following is a list of some of them:
- $213 or INR 15,988 in GRE test charge.
- $185 or INR 13,887 in TOEFL costs.
- INR 14,700 to take IELTS.
- $75-100 or INR 5,579-7,438 in application costs.
- $160 or INR 12,012 for an F-1 student visa.
- $700 or INR 52,068 for airfare.
- $350 or INR 26,311 in SEVIS costs.
- $23,000-82,000 in tuition fees or INR 17.11 lakhs to INR 61 lakhs.
- $2,000 or INR 1.49 lakhs in health insurance costs per year.
- $9,600-14,400 or INR 7.14 lakhs to INR 10.71 lakhs in accommodation charges per year.
- $1,440-3,000 or INR 1.07-2.23 lakhs in yearly transportation costs.
- $2,000 or INR 1.49 lakhs in annual electricity and gas bills.
- $2,500 or INR 1.86 lakhs in yearly entertainment and leisure costs.
- $2,400 or INR 1.79 lakhs in study material costs per year.
- $3,000 or INR 2.23 lakhs in food and grocery costs per year.
You must budget for these expenses before deciding on your study abroad program in the USA.
- Digital Construction | What Is Digital Construction Management?
- Construction management & what is it for and what are its specials
- What is the Difference Between Construction Management and Project Management?
- What are the Best Job Opportunities for Construction Management?
MS in Construction Management in USA Scholarships
Scholarships for an MS in Construction Management in the USA are given to deserving and excellent students. These aids such candidates in getting their tuition payments reduced or entirely waived.
However, the decision to provide scholarships to meritorious students rests solely with the involved university. Before giving scholarships to applicants, university officials review their recommendation letters, academic records, statements of purpose, and family backgrounds.
Following recommendations from their colleges and universities, these scholarships assist international students in lowering the expense of their studies in the United States.
However, there are specific deadlines that students must satisfy to be considered for US scholarships for MS in Construction Management. The most well-known scholarships for students seeking an MS in construction management in the USA are as follows:
- Merit-based Awards – Students with outstanding academic records during their Bachelor’s degrees are eligible for merit scholarships. Every cycle, these scholarships are given out, and anyone can apply, even students from other countries. These scholarships allow recipients to lower their tuition costs. Between $25,000 and $47,000 is the typical range for the deduction.
- Need-based aid – Next, there are requirements-based scholarships that are only available to students from low-income families. Before awarding this scholarship, consideration is given to the applicant’s financial situation and family history.
- Tuition Fee Waiver/Discounts – Students who lack the financial means to pay tuition fees may qualify for discounts on those fees or waivers of those expenses. For students receiving such scholarships, a portion of the tuition charge is decreased or entirely waived. Such financial aid recipients still have to cover the costs of additional amenities like textbooks, medical care, libraries, and extracurricular activities.
- In-State Tuition Charge – As they only have to pay a small amount for their Masters in Construction Management, in-state students benefit significantly from the in-state tuition fee system. However, students from countries other than the United States must pay twice as much. International students are eligible for in-state tuition rates only if the relevant university advises them. To be eligible for such subsidies, they must have outstanding academic records.
- Teaching assistantships offer a fee waiver or stipend in exchange for services to the university instead of just providing a grant or bursary for graduate studies. This could entail working in a lab or workshop or instructing and demonstrating to undergraduates. This is often for college students who want to work in education.
- Research Assistantship – Research Assistantships allow students to assist professors with their research projects while reducing their workload. University funds, funded by the United States government or other private organizations, offer grants. Students apply for this position throughout the university application process, and before the end of the first semester, they are informed of their status. In certain universities, students can select the professor they want to work with.
- Graduate assistantships have made it possible for students who want to work closely with senior professors to develop their teaching and research skills. It is advantageous for those who want to study MS in the US. Additionally, this will reward performers by waiving their tuition costs.
- BIM for Construction Management and Planning | A Free BIM Course from Autodesk
- Top Construction Management Colleges In India Updated List 2023
- A Beginner’s Guide: Top 6 Real Estate and Construction Management Courses
- A Guide To Construction Management Courses
You can apply for a variety of scholarships. Here are a few examples:
- Obama Foundation Scholars Program: Awarded to people who have significantly impacted the public and voluntary sectors. Payment for living expenses, educational materials, and tuition.
- The Rotary Foundation Graduate Scholarship Program is for middle-income or developing country students. $30 or 22.31 lakhs Indian rupees.
- PEO International Peace Scholarship for Women: Only female candidates from abroad are eligible to apply. 12.50 USD or 9.3 lakhs INR.
- Vanderbilt Tuition Scholarship: Given to students enrolled in Vanderbilt University’s MEng in Construction Management. 50% of the total price of tuition.
- Carnegie Mellon University offers the SOA Graduate Merit Scholarship. Funding is provided in part.
- Individuals with an outstanding academic record are eligible for the Civil Society Leadership Award. Reimbursement for living expenses, travel charges, and the monthly stipend.
Top Universities in the USA for MS in Construction Management
Several institutions in the USA provide a Masters in Construction Management. These universities are known for their outstanding academic programs and facilities.
The following are the top 10 universities for an MS in construction management according to QS World Ranking 2023:
The Columbia University MS in Construction Administration program is at the top of the best master’s degrees in construction management.
Students who complete this degree are well-prepared for rewarding construction management and project leadership employment.
Graduates work in significant design, engineering, and construction businesses on initiatives impacting their local communities. If taken part-time, the program can be finished in 6–10 terms instead of 3–4 full terms. Although this is an on-campus program, some classes might also be offered online.
- QS World Ranking: #19
- Programs Offered: MS Construction Administration, MS in Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics (concentration in Construction Engineering and Management)
- Duration: 1.5 to 2 years
- Tuition Fees: 50 to 63 Lakhs in INR
The MEng in CEM has been created for students and professionals who wish to advance their solid foundations in construction engineering and management while addressing societal and professional needs.
The Master of Engineering in Construction Engineering and Management is specially tailored for students who are interested in pursuing a professional career in the construction industry, are looking for a top-notch education that combines theoretical learning and professional practice, and can complete the entire degree program in two semesters (8 months).
- QS World Ranking: #23
- Programs Offered: M.Eng Construction Engineering and Management
- Duration: 08 Months
- Tuition Fees: INR 46,74,935
New York University offers another top master’s degree program in construction management. A solid foundation in legal, business, financial, technological, and management principles is provided by this program.
Students learn to manage project scope, maximize finances, and prevent expensive delays. They acquire the expertise they require to excel as leaders in the construction sector.
Students learn about the value of communication and how to use tools for planning, organizing, and managing finances in their projects.
- QS World Ranking: #42
- Programs Offered: MS Construction Management
- Duration: 1 year
- Tuition Fees: INR 86,46,738
The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering and the School of Architecture provide the Master of Science and Ph.D. in Architecture Engineering and Construction Management (AECM) programs.
The AECM programs prepare to build delivery professionals for employment in capital project delivery that deals with a capital project’s life cycle, from pre-design to design, construction, commissioning, operation, and maintenance.
It emphasizes integrating design and technology, particularly cutting-edge information systems, to improve building performance and increase environmental sustainability.
- QS World Ranking: #53
- Programs Offered: MS Architecture Engineering and Construction Management (AECM)
- Duration: 09 Months to 16 Months
- Tuition Fees: INR 29,33,705
One of the most prestigious programs of its kind in the country is the Construction Engineering and Management (CEM) program at UW-Madison.
Civil and environmental engineering majors focusing on construction engineering and management who complete the CEM program are awarded a bachelor of science degree.
This key area is now being researched in a wide variety of areas, including construction automation, robotics, and wearable technology, as well as revolutionary construction sensing, wearable equipment, and visualization techniques.
- QS World Ranking: #75
- Programs Offered: MS in Construction Engineering and Management
- Duration: 1 year
- Tuition Fees: INR 19,23, 644
The Master of Construction Management program targets professionals with various undergraduate degrees.
The Master of Construction Management program’s primary goal is to provide interdisciplinary professionals with the instruction and training to comprehend and carry out the wide range of technical and non-technical tasks related to construction management.
The Viterbi School of Engineering, School of Architecture, Marshall School of Business, Gould School of Law, and School of Policy, Planning, and Development are the five schools where the program’s courses are offered. The program culminates with an interdisciplinary degree.
The Master of Construction Management degree covers most contemporary theories and practices, preparing students for employment as industrial leaders in the real estate/construction sector.
In the curriculum, the function’s role in real estate development is mainly focused. Graduates of this degree can find work with general contractors, property developers, subcontractors, construction management companies, and architectural engineering firms, among other employers.
- QS World Ranking: #112
- Programs Offered: Master of Construction Management
- Duration: 2 years
- Tuition Fees: INR 44,37,961
The techniques used to develop and maintain the infrastructure in our world are designed and carried out by construction engineers.
Today’s successful construction engineer uses the following tools in their work: Strong math, science, and computer skills, creativity, an aptitude for using engineering and scientific methods to solve problems, and a love of building structures like bridges, airports, buildings, stadiums, and highways, an interest in working outdoors as well as indoors, initiative, a strong work ethic, the ability to work with a variety of people, practical communication skills, and a desire to learn in a dynamic environment are all required.
- QS World Ranking:#116
- Programs Offered: Ms in Construction Management Technology
- Duration: 2 years
- Tuition Fees: INR 48,56,734
One of the top master’s programs in construction management is the MS in Construction Management offered by Michigan State University. This curriculum trains students to be leaders in residential and commercial buildings.
It was established since 1948 and offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in construction management. It covers both the managerial and technical facets of construction.
Students attend classes in project management, scheduling, estimating, financing, contracts, management, business law, building regulations, accounting, structural design, and real estate.
- QS World Ranking: #157
- Programs Offered: MS in Construction Management
- Duration: 1 year
- Tuition Fees: INR 74,69,214
To oversee a wide range of construction projects, from residential and commercial buildings to infrastructure projects like roads, bridges, and extensive facilities, construction management professionals combine their knowledge of cutting-edge technologies, construction principles, and business management. Our curriculum teaches students how to plan, direct, and oversee the construction process.
Construction executives have significant duties and impact daily life because of new technology and opportunities.
ASU’s Construction Management program was established more than 50 years ago to support the Southwest and Arizona’s construction industries.
You will profit from our established connections to business, a strong alumni network, access to internships, and professional student organizations, in addition to being a part of a highly acclaimed degree program.
Their program teaches you how to plan, direct, and oversee the construction process. Construction CEOs now have enormous responsibilities that impact people’s lives daily through the built environment, thanks to new technology and opportunities.
- QS World Ranking: #216
- Programs Offered: MS in Construction Management and Technology
- Duration: 2 years
- Tuition Fees: INR 37,38,168
The art of controlling and organizing people and material resources throughout a project’s life cycle is known as construction project management.
An advanced degree program in civil engineering (M. Eng.) with an emphasis in construction management is offered by the Vanderbilt University School of Engineering.
Based on the fundamentals of civil engineering, this program aims to strike a balance between the most recent advancements in construction technologies and software and management principles to comprehend and address the wide range of problems facing the built environment and the construction industry.
The Vanderbilt program has received recognition from the Construction Industry Institute (CII) for its excellent curriculum and dissemination of cutting-edge knowledge and industry best practices.
- QS World Ranking: #218
- Programs Offered: MEng Construction Management
- Duration: 2 years
- Tuition Fees: INR 47,83,964
Also, learn more about the colleges offering construction management courses in the US.
- Construction Management Interview Questions Free Online Practice Test
- Construction Management Career: A Complete Guide for 2023
- Construction Management MTech, ME Courses and Colleges In India
- Construction Management Courses In Canada Updated 2023
- What are some of the best construction management books?
Course Curriculum for Construction Management Courses in the USA
Large-scale tasks with many moving elements are frequently associated with construction jobs. A comprehensive study subject has only been created for the process because of this reason.
Time management, quality assurance, and budget management are all critical components of the construction assignment management process, which combines technical and commercial principles.
The United States is regarded as one of the top locations for pursuing Masters and Bachelor’s degrees in construction management. Some of the best colleges in this area are at the top of the global university rankings and provide their students with a high-quality education.
The goal of advanced degrees in construction management is to integrate construction projects’ environmental, managerial, and technological aspects.
The curriculum for a master’s degree in construction management will vary depending on the university. Still, you can anticipate that it will cover topics like materials, operation, budgeting, scheduling, designing, etc.
This course may be the best option if engineering and its connected subjects, such as architecture or building technology, fascinate you.
The program examines civil engineering topics like geotechnical engineering, structures, and transportation. Here is a general overview of the subjects you should anticipate covering; however, the precise curriculum varies from university to institution.
- Applied Statistics and Queuing Theory
- Scheduling and Control
- Advanced Concrete Technology
- Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Structures
- Modern Structural Materials and Systems Design
- Project Formulation and Appraisal
- Construction Personnel Management
- Project Safety Management
- Construction Equipment and Planning
- Shoring, Scaffolding, and Formwork
- Construction Project Management
- Advanced Construction Techniques
- Contract Laws and Regulation
- Quantitative Techniques in Management
- Top 30 Largest construction companies in the United States [2023 Updated List]
- Top 25 Civil Engineering Companies in the US [2023 Updated List]
- 10 Best BIM Companies 2023 Updated List
- List of the Best Construction Project Management Software for 2023
Job opportunities after completing the MS in Construction Management in the USA
The construction project manager is one position that stands out when considering the kind of jobs in construction management one may pursue.
As a commercial project manager or subcontractor manager, a person may also find employment in the construction management industry. In these kinds of areas, entry-level construction management employment is available.
However, depending on the employer’s particular needs, specific roles aren’t open to applicants with that experience level. A person who obtains a master’s degree in construction management may have a higher chance of landing construction management positions at their current position.
Beyond building, careers in construction management exist. For instance, working for a real estate firm is one of the occupations in construction management one could pursue.
As an illustration, one of the occupations one could pursue in construction management is real estate and construction manager. Other career opportunities for those interested in construction management include becoming a district property manager or a real estate developer.
But these aren’t the only positions that require a construction manager degree. Cost estimators are a different field that requires a degree in construction management.
These construction management positions allow an individual to collaborate with manufacturers, service providers, or contractors to determine the price of materials. In this industry, there are chances for people to work in construction management roles where they may estimate project expenses for personnel, materials, money, and time.
Big firms have additional positions in construction management. For instance, a person can work in construction management roles while serving as the CEO of a business. Civil engineers may have positions in construction management.
One can have a significant impact on construction management by having job titles. However, when considering job titles in construction management and what I can accomplish with a master’s in construction management, a person should consider the construction job title hierarchy.
As one learns more about what one may accomplish with a master’s in construction management, specific titles, like CEO, are at the top of the construction job title hierarchy.
- Construction Management In Australia: Courses and Universities
- Top 50 HR Interview Questions and Answers for Engineers
- No Money for Higher Studies, What you should do instead?
- Top Construction Management Courses in India for 2023
- Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2023
- Top MBA Construction Management Courses In India [2023 Updated List]
Salary after MS in Construction Management in the USA
Large development corporations, worldwide consulting firms, global architectural firms, government sector organizations, and construction firms are just a few industries where a master’s in construction management might help you find work.
By the end of 2026, the need for construction management professionals is expected to increase by 11%, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
For construction managers, the median yearly pay after earning an MS in construction management in the USA is high.
A civil engineer pursuing an MS in construction management in the USA will earn USD 81,352. With a Masters’s in Construction Management, civil engineers can make a lot of money developing and conceptualizing structures that serve a city’s essential operations.
The average pay for top executives in the USA after receiving an MS in construction management is just over 25%. The price points range from $70,000 to $100,000. The average MS in Construction Management salary in the USA is expected to increase by 8% in the coming years.
Like construction managers, top executives require a lot of the same leadership and project management abilities. These executives, including general operational managers and CEOs, must possess master’s degrees in construction management.
For overseas students hopeful about earning their degree, the field of construction management in the USA is diverse. There are several opportunities for those studying construction management in the USA.
Students are generally taught the proper methods for organizing, budgeting, and managing construction projects in various settings, including residential, commercial, and industrial buildings, at the colleges offering this study program.
With construction management growing in popularity over time, earning an MS in Construction Management in the USA will provide you with several opportunities to design a safe and rewarding professional career. The fact that those who succeed typically receive friendly packages makes up for the fact that it is more expensive to pursue it.