Last Updated on April 8, 2021 by Admin
Who is a Quantity Surveyor?
A quantity surveyor (QS) is a construction industry professional with expert knowledge of construction costs management and contracts management. We are discussing here the quantity surveyor job description and salary details.
If you have strong numerical and financial management skills, a practical mind, and like the idea of traveling within your role, becoming a quantity surveyor could be ideal for you.
As a quantity surveyor, you’ll manage all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures. Working either for the client or the contractor, in an office, or on-site, you’ll be involved in a project from the start. You can also, check the Top Quantity Surveyor Courses And Institutes in India Updated List 2021.
You’ll seek to minimize the cost of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality. This includes ensuring statutory building regulations are met. You’ll prepare estimates and costs of the work and when the project is in progress, you’ll keep track of any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create reports to show profitability.
Role of a Quantity Surveyor (QS) at work
- Before the start of any construction project, the quantity surveyor analyzes the drawing and specifications of the new building that architects or engineers provide.
- The surveyors calculate the quantity of the material used in the building. Also, they must calculate the accurate work or labor cost.
- Quantity surveying relies on technical measurement tools for accurate cost results. For example, building cost historical data to analyze and give the early cost advice, budget the bench-marked projects and prepare the life-cycle plan. For this, he/she must have a thorough understanding of building regulations in order to hold on to them and make sure the building project passes.
- During the whole construction of the building, surveyors keep eye on the cost.
- Quantity surveying is an essential part of any new building construction and renovation project. You can hire a surveyor company if you need any kind of assistance.
- Quantity surveyors play a key role in managing the finances for construction projects and make them cost-effective; hence, they have earned a lot of attention in recent times.
- The primary role of a quantity surveyor includes calculating the budget based on the consumer’s requirement and preparing an effective budget estimate for each stage of the construction process.
Various Responsibilities Of QS
Following are the various important responsibilities of a typical quantity surveyor;
- Prepare tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities with the architect and/or the client
- Undertake cost analysis for repair and maintenance project work
- Assist in establishing a client’s requirements and undertake feasibility studies
- Perform risk, value management, and cost control
- Advise on a procurement strategy
- Identify, analyze and develop responses to commercial risks
- Prepare and analyze costings for tenders
- Allocate work to subcontractors
- Provide advice on contractual claims
- Analyze outcomes and write detailed progress reports
- Value completed work and arrange payments
- Maintain awareness of the different building contracts in current use
- Understand the implications of health and safety regulations.
Once you’ve gained sufficient experience and specialist knowledge, you may also:
- Offer advice on property taxation
- Provide post-occupancy advice, facilities management services, and life cycle costing advice
- Assist clients in locating and accessing additional and alternative sources of funding
- Enable clients to initiate construction projects
- Advice on the maintenance costs of specific buildings.
How To Become A QS
As the job profile is closely related to the finance and construction field, candidates from the engineering or architecture discipline will have an added advantage.
One can take up a diploma, graduate, or postgraduate program in quantity surveying to become a professional. Candidates should possess a degree in engineering, architecture, or planning from a recognized institute or university to pursue this course.
The majority of the candidates come from a Civil Engineering background. Candidates from a non-engineering background can also take up the course with two years of work experience in a construction firm.
Kindly check here the best and the top Quantity Surveyor Courses and Institutes in India.
Various courses to study quantity surveying available are;
- Graduate program in construction quantity surveying
- Graduate diploma in quantity surveying
- Postgraduate program in quantity surveying
- Postgraduate program in quantity surveying and contract management
- Postgraduate diploma in quantity surveying & contracts management
- MBA in construction economics and quantity surveying
Quantity Surveyor Skills
Apart from academic and technical knowledge, one should possess some skills to be a successful professional in quantity surveying. Some of the skills are:
- Budgeting skills
- Mathematical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good financial skills
- Logical and thinking ability skills
- Communication skills
- Negotiation and team-building skills
- Organizational and planning skills
- Leadership skills
Career Opportunities for QS
Candidates who possess an academic qualification in quantity surveying will find a plethora of job opportunities in the construction field. The demand for quantity surveyors is high because of the shortage of workers with practical experience. Many private companies even recruit freshers with a good pay structure.
Most of the quantity surveyors will be associated with construction companies and property developers. They will also find jobs in subcontractor companies, project management companies, construction material supplier companies, insurance companies, etc.
After attaining enough experience in this profession, quantity surveyors will have an opportunity to become a contractor. One can specialize in project management after a course of time. Some of the other options that quantity surveyors can opt for our risk assessment and logistics management.
The infrastructure sector has been considered a key driver of a country’s economy. The infrastructure sector takes care of the development of bridges, roads, buildings, dams, and others.
As this sector is propelling the overall development across the world, specifically in India, with intense support from the government, a career in this infrastructure sector will be a lucrative one.
Quantity Surveyor Salary
There are a limited number of experienced candidates in this profession, hence the companies are recruiting candidates with a high pay structure.
In India, the average basic salary for a quantity surveyor fresher is INR 394,490 per year (Source: Payscale).
In the USA, the average basic salary for a quantity surveyor fresher is $ 61,201 per year (Source: Payscale)
There are a lot of monitory benefits for candidates who work in foreign countries.
We hope you liked this article, If you are planning to become a quantity surveyor, kindly check these TOP-RATED ONLINE QUANTITY SURVEYOR COURSES.