Last Updated on April 18, 2023 by Admin
A bridge is a structure that spans a physical impediment, such as a body of water, a valley, or a road, without closing the path underneath to provide passage over the obstacle. Read more to know bridge engineer job description and salary details.
Bridge engineering is a part of civil engineering that deals with the planning, design, building, operation, and maintenance of bridges to enable the safe and efficient flow of people, commodities, and vehicles.
A bridge engineer is a professional who plans and supervises bridge-building to ensure efficiency and safety. Understanding the demands of each project and site, communicating with experts, creating goals and objectives, managing budgets and schedules, and developing procedures to improve construction operations are among their tasks.
Furthermore, as a bridge engineer, you must lead and inspire your team to achieve their objectives while enforcing safety standards and regulations to provide everybody with a safe and productive work environment.
Table of Contents
Role & Responsibilities of Bridge Engineer
Following Typical tasks need to be performed by Bridge Engineer
- Employ and manage consultants and contractors and begin and produce detailed construction contract agreements.
- Using SAP2000, perform a deep examination of structures.
- Using SAP2000, model and analyze the bridge.
- Using STAAD, design and assess substructure end bends.
- Using AutoCAD, complete markups for slab details and construction foundations.
- Based on the TxDOT detailing handbook, prepare structural detailing sheets for superstructures and substructures.
- On large bridge interchange projects, survey and inspect massive volumes of concrete installation.
- Using hand calculations and software, inspect bridge structures for defects following the AASHTO code.
- Pond design, storm sewer system architecture, pond analysis, and ICPR modeling are all tasks that must be completed.
- Use PennDOT standards and AASHTO regulations and processes to design bridges and other highway-related structures.
- For many bridge and highway projects, prepare AutoCAD drawings for final design, sketch plans, and presentations.
- Prepare parking garage condition assessment reports and repair designs, with some repairs made with carbon fiber material following ACI 440.2R-02.
- Prepare a report on the structural condition of multiple railway overcrossing.
- Inspect multiple railway bridges for condition and provide structural assessment reports.
- Participate in pavement, drainage, and right-of-way maintenance activities alongside superintendents and foremen.
- Using ANSYS, perform LOCA and seismic analysis to determine the acceptability of certain minimum baffle-barrel bolting conditions.
- Assist in creating a comprehensive facility management program, which includes budgeting, strategic planning, and prioritization.
- Work with elected and appointed officials to recommend and organize the process for roadway and facility improvements from design to construction.
- Take part in review team meetings with top TxDOT and FHWA officials.
- Participate in pavement, drainage, and right-of-way maintenance activities alongside superintendents and foremen.
Skills required to be a Bridge Engineer
The major critical technical skills required to become Bridge Engineer are as follows:
- Perform complex structural analysis to determine structural behavior when necessary and mentor /guide younger engineers.
- Prepared AutoCAD drawings for final design, sketch plans, and presentations for several bridge and highway projects.
- Design Criteria for Curved Metal Bridges Based on AASHTO Specifications.
- Involved in engineering design and construction support for commercial, municipal, pharmaceutical and residential clients.
- Performed design calculations, developed specifications, and directed department personnel to prepare Construction Documents.
- Performed calculations for quantity takeoff of concrete structural steel for use in cost estimates.
Along with the technical skills, these Soft Skills are also most important:
- The ability to lead is the most critical personality quality for a bridge engineer. “Bridge engineers bear ultimate accountability for the projects they oversee or research they undertake,” according to a Bridge Engineer definition.
- Consider how Bridge Engineers can employ leadership skills: “Advised Senior Civil Engineering Leadership on military construction projects and personnel issues.”
- While it may not be the most crucial skill, Math is required for many Bridges Engineer tasks. “Civil engineers employ the ideas of calculus, trigonometry, and other complex areas in mathematics for analysis, design, and troubleshooting in their work,” says a Bridge Engineer.
- This is just one example of how Bridge Engineers can put their math talents to use: “Produced new Mathcad programs for various bridge elements that incorporate the new LRFD specifications. “
- Problem-solving abilities are another outstanding ability among Bridge Engineers. The following example shows that this talent is essential for carrying out day-to-day responsibilities: “Civil engineers work at the highest level of multidimensional project or research planning, design, building, and operation.”
- This is an example of how this expertise is used: “Served as a primary contact between CALTRANS and the General Contractor to resolve design disputes.”
- “Speaking abilities” are occasionally required of a Bridge Engineer. This excerpt demonstrates the responsibilities that rely on these abilities: “Civil engineers must deliver reports and plans to a diverse range of audiences with varying backgrounds and technical skills.”
- This is an example of how Bridge Engineers apply this skill: “At peer and critical design reviews, I prepared and presented design analysis and testing.”
- “Writing skills” is another key ability that a Bridge Engineer must possess. Civil engineers must communicate with other professionals such as architects, landscape architects, and urban and regional planners.
- “Bridge Design: Working with project management in developing P.S.&E.; creating engineering calculations and writing project special provisions,” a Bridge Engineer explained.
Typical 15 essential abilities required to become Bridge Engineer
Let’s look at what capabilities a Bridge Engineer needs to succeed in the workplace.
A structural analysis is a method or procedure for identifying the state and situation of a structure. Engineers, architects, and other associated professionals frequently utilize it to research and analyze the behavior, dynamics, difficulties, and failures during a project.
It is the key to the engineering design framework that determines the system’s performance, integrity, and impact. The analysis’ goal is to determine the stress, deformations, acceleration, internal forces, and stability.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize structural analysis:
- When necessary, do complicated structural analyses to identify structural behavior and mentor/guide junior engineers.
- Using structural analysis software, examine repair timber/concrete members to determine design adequacy.
- Applied structural analysis software, including one that used the finite-element approach.
- Structural analysis was carried out to determine probable weight constraints.
- Structural study for the superstructure and substructure of a bridge.
Here’s how to bridge engineer utilizes AutoCAD:
- For various bridge and highway projects, they prepare AutoCAD drawings for final design, sketch plans, presentations, site investigations of structural foundations, AutoCAD drawings, and structural suggestions for the number of piers needed.
- Prepared structural and architectural designs for residential and commercial structures using AutoCAD.
- Using AutoCAD, created horizontal and vertical roadway alignments.
- Utilized computer applications such as AutoCAD and MicroStation to create structural drawings.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize Aashto:
- Based on AASHTO Specifications, Design Criteria for Curved Metal Bridges.
- The AASHTO bridge code was used to design and specify the bridge.
- AASHTO loads were used to design the bridge.
- CDOT, AASHTO, and AREA code regulations were implemented.
- As part of the newly oriented divided highway, designed a six-span AASHTO girder bridge over Sycamore Creek on SR87.
A team’s joint effort to identify problems underlying a process and discover solutions is known as engineering design. Engineering design is the process by which design engineers identify and solve challenges. It’s a comprehensive and adaptable approach to problem-solving that gives all of the information needed at each stage.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize engineering design:
- Involved in engineering design and construction support for commercial, municipal, pharmaceutical, and residential clients.
- Designed engineering for projects in the industrial, educational, telecommunications, and medical fields.
- Support for the engineering design of the Propellant Disposal Facility during the dismantling of SS-24 long-range missiles.
- Substation engineering, facilities management, and project engineering groups received structural engineering designs.
- Prepared In-Process Design Changes for plant adjustments to overcome construction installation or engineering design difficulties.
Construction documents are defined as the design and blueprints of a construction site based on the construction contract provided by the hiring party. They are both in graphic and written form as part of the protocol for the project design.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize construction documents:
- Reviewed hydrology studies, engineering cost estimates, and construction documents before submitting for agency approval; performed design calculations, produced specifications, and oversaw department workers in creating Construction Documents.
- Complete third-party assessments of construction documents and tower analysis calculations of a similar nature.
- Construction paperwork, specifications, quantity take-offs, drainage calculations, and reports were prepared and reviewed.
- Observed the progress of design initiatives during construction.
Structural steel is a type of steel material typically manufactured or used for tasks such as creating tools for the construction of various structures and buildings.
It usually comes in multiple sizes, shapes, characteristics, and compositions for diverse industrial and manufacturing enterprises. These are frequently employed in constructing structures such as buildings, aircraft, bridges, and pipelines.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize structural steel:
- Calculated concrete and structural steel amount takeoffs to be used in cost estimates.
- For steel, reinforced concrete, and pre-stressed concrete structures, performed load rating analysis utilizing Bentley LARS Bridge (LFR/LRFR).
- In support of petrochemical refinery process expansions, performed finite element analysis and design of structural steel and concrete structures.
- Observe and appraise degraded steel/concrete structures in the field, then offer repair details and specifications.
- Determine preliminary steel and concrete constructions for the proposed CaTS chemical complex for seismic activity.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize cad:
- Entry-level engineers and CAD designers were supervised and given instruction and direction. Accomplishments Different components of many RC bridges were designed by myself.
- Structural plans were advanced, details were established, and CAD staff was directed to complete the project.
- Perform preliminary and final design calculations and create CAD drawings.
- On bridge projects, supervise EITs and CAD technicians.
- Plan designs and details prepared by CAD technicians were double-checked.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize Mathcad:
- Maintained detailed calculations using Mathcad and Microsoft Office.
- Produced new Mathcad programs for various bridge elements that incorporate the new LRFD specifications.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize contract documents:
- On Emergency Repair Projects, I prepared contract paperwork, project specifications, and blueprints.
- Develop contract documents and assume full managerial responsibility for construction contracts, including infrastructure asset enhancements within City.
- Provide adequate and necessary levels of construction supervision following Contract Documents to provide quality assurance.
- Contract documents and bid administration are complete.
- Most post-design works consisted of checking calculations and shop drawings for compliance with contract documents and code requirements.
Here’s how mdx is utilized by bridge engineers:
- SPLICE AT PIER for steel plate girders and steel box girders using MDX software and with the help of NSBA.
- Lead designer for 108 deep web steel plate girders using MDX.
- Refined FEA analysis of the viaduct’s last three spans (36-degree skew) using MDX software.
Here’s how to design bridge engineers utilize efforts:
- Lead the design efforts for the Sols Wash Bridge replacement on US 93.
- Lead the design efforts for the Santa Maria River Bridge on US 93.
- Managed consultant’s bridge design efforts for SR 0081-068 bridge superstructure replacement project.
An inspection report is a written document provided after thoroughly evaluating a specific procedure/ process.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize inspection reports:
- Using Microsoft Word and Bentley’s InspectTech, I created bridge inspection reports to keep track of each bridge’s historical condition.
- Using Bentley InspectTech software, I compiled routine, unique, and in-depth bridge inspection reports.
- After coding according to PennDOT BMS, I inspected bridges and wrote inspection reports.
- Conduct inspections of bridges and dams and create inspection reports.
- Complete bridge inspection reports and make recommendations for repairs.
A construction plan is a set of documents that specify the project’s requirements, such as activities, resources, timetable, and budget. It is a two-dimensional architectural drawing that contains all of the project’s specifics.
A construction plan’s principal function is to indicate what needs to be done, whereas specifications are concerned with materials, installation processes, and quality standards.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize construction plans:
- For capital and rehabilitation projects, provide conceptual design and construction plans to internal and external design groups.
- Create yearly and multi-year capital construction plans and supporting plans, estimates, and a business case.
- Complex technical surveys were completed to establish construction designs for a mail distribution hub.
- Organize and supervise the creation of engineering construction plans.
- Prepare construction designs and survey site sites for Direction Finder (DF-type of Rx antenna).
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize ODOT:
- Guide other engineers on ODOT and OTA preferences and standard practice.
- Performed shop drawings for review with the ODOT Bridge Review Program.
Here’s how bridge engineers utilize construction activities:
- Participated in the development of extensive construction inspection and design proposals.
- Civil constructions were designed, and bridges were inspected during construction.
- Airport Resurfacing construction inspection by a lead inspector.
- Lead construction inspection of steel girder/steel beam bridges with many spans.
- During construction, lead inspection of pre-stressed concrete box beam bridges and multiple span steel beam bridges.
Essential Qualification requirement for Bridge Engineer
To become a Bridge Engineer, these are the required qualification
- A Master’s degree in Structural Engineering or a related field
- 3 – 8 years of experience, of which at least 2 years should include structural work experience.
- Proficient use of relevant software packages such as MicroStation V8i, OpenBridge Designer, ProjectWise, CSiBridge, STAAD, MIDAS Civil, STAAD, Leap Bridge, MDX, Mathcad, and Microsoft Office
- Sound knowledge of all technical standards such as AASHTO bridge specifications, IRC, IRS, and other similar standards
The average bridge engineer salary in India is ₹ 360,000 per year. Entry-level positions start at ₹ 350,000 per year, while most experienced workers make up to ₹1,060,000 per year.
A Bridge Engineer’s annual salary averages $80,217, which is $38.57 an hour. However, Bridge Engineers can earn anywhere from upwards of $58,000 to $109,000 a year.
If you are proficient in Structural Analysis, AutoCAD, and Aashto, then Bridge Engineer is the best option for career making. Other soft skills like Leadership skills, Math skills, and Problem-solving skills should be improved to help more to grow in this field.
- What are the Various Types of Construction Companies?
- Structural Engineer Job Description and Salary Details
- Best Road Construction Companies In India [Updated List 2022]
- Text Books & Reference Books on Structural Design of Bridges