Electrical engineering is a professional engineering discipline that generally deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This field first became an identifiable occupation in the latter half of the 19th century after commercialization of the electric telegraph, the telephone, and electric power distribution and use. Subsequently, broadcasting and recording media made electronics part of daily life. The invention of the transistor, and later the integrated circuit, brought down the cost of electronics to the point they can be used in almost any household object. We have made an effort to list down the importance of electrical engineering jobs in the construction industry.
Usually, the task of an electrical engineer is to design high voltage equipment such as wiring systems, lighting systems, and generators. Within the construction industry, the role of an electrical engineer is to survey the site and manage the design and construction of electrical systems so that they comply with the necessary codes.
An electrical engineer has many responsibilities on a construction site. These responsibilities include designing, testing, installing and maintaining large-scale electrical systems that transmit and generate power. When designing projects, electrical engineers typically need the skills to work with computer models in order to have a better idea of what they should design. In addition, electrical engineers may be responsible for calculating the costs of projects and scheduling delivery dates for supplies.
Finally, at the end of a project, the electrical engineer is responsible for making sure that all codes are met. This requires the thorough knowledge of building codes, and the electrical engineer may be required to teach others how to detect building construction issues. electrical engineering jobs are always here in the construction industry, you can easily find he several jobs in any construction, real estate, and project industry. electrical engineering government jobs are also there for the qualified electrical engineer in the various government departments. Several electrical engineering jobs in India for freshers and experienced electrical engineers are available in the construction industry.
Following are the several mechanical engineering jobs profile in the construction industry:
Following are some of the job profiles for electrical engineering professionals in the construction, real estate, infrastructure, and project industry.
- Electrical Project Engineer
- Electrical Maintenance Engineer
- Electrical Site Supervisor
- Electrical Incharge
- Electrical Design Engineer
- Project Site Engineer
- Junior Engineer Electrical
- Electrical Technician
- Electrical site Engineer
- Electrical site Engineer -Transmission
- Electrical Design Engineer
- Electrical Maintenance Engineer
- Project Electrical Engineer
- MEP Engineer
- Field Electrical Engineer and many more…
- A brand new building, out of the ground.
- Infrastructure upgrade to existing building for a new tenant or owner use.
- Design or redesign of existing space in an existing building for a new tenant, or a tenant wanting to redesign their office layout
Data center (mission critical)
Design of power systems for servers/it racks/HVAC
- Providing backup power for a building or tenant, such as a generator or ups (uninterruptable power supply), to protect in the case of a power outage
- Conditions assessment on existing buildings
Typical Electrical Engineering jobs in construction
- Designing the buildings/spaces/systems
- Work for a construction firm managing construction sites, coordinating with manufacturers, making sure contractors are building properly and maintaining the schedule, etc.
- Manage all aspects of the project for the owner, making sure all team members are doing their jobs (engineers, architects, construction manager, etc.)
•Testing of all equipment and systems upon completion of construction
Investigating existing buildings after a failure to determine fault, the reason for failure, corrective measures, as well as litigation expert witnessing
Roles and Responsibilities of an Electrical Engineer In Construction Industry:
Following are the responsibilities of the role of an electrical engineer in a construction company are listed below;
- Detail engineering with a safety factor in the design.
- Basic & detail engineering for the provision of earthling pits of electrical installation.
- Design for illumination of different area and lux calculation.
- Cable size calculation cable scheduling &its route selection, overhead or underground, Proper protection system for all electrical installation.
- Generally responsible for implementations and monitoring of all electrical related works at site.
- Estimates prepare and assign resources such as manpower, materials, consumables, equipment, tools, etc., required for all electrical and related works prior to execution.
- Plans and analyses all possible construction methodologies and recommends the best options to the Asst. Project Manager for approval prior to execution at site.
- Interprets construction drawings and studies the contract documents and applicable standards or specifications prior to the execution of any jobs.
- Manages directly and provide engineering and technical support to all the electrical workgroups at the site.
- Plans the execution of all electrical related works and coordinates the works to mechanical and civil groups.
- Coordinates with Client / Consultant’s representatives for any site instructions and inspection of works.
- Assign targets for accomplishments and ensure targets are met on a daily basis for all electrical groups at the site.
- Submits site daily reports, inspection requests, estimates and all applicable monitoring reports on a regular basis or as required.
- Supports the Project Manager in accomplishing all the goals and targets for the electrical groups at a site.
- Ensures that all the works have done are in accordance with the approved construction drawings, contract documents, project specifications, and all applicable standards whether local, national or international standards.
- Ensures that all site works are done according to all applicable quality standards.
- Directly responsible for the safety of all electrical groups’ personnel of the project by ensuring that the project execution will be done according to all applicable health, safety, sanitary and environmental standards.
- Performs other related duties as may be required by the Project Manager.
- To co-ordinate with Electrical Contractor for Electrification, Execution, Erection & Commissioning.
- To provide the entire electrical solutions as per requirement.
- Handling of the electrical load as per requirement.
- Cable size calculation cables scheduling &its route selection, overhead or underground.
- Inspection and Test Plans in order to perform all required inspections and witnessing all required tests and add the witness and hold points for the Client’s Inspection.
- inspection reports and records of Quality Control carried out on completed and running Project activities.
- Review Client’s Inspectors deliverables, analyze and resolve issues and problems emerging during the Quality Control activities. Ensure that all inspection and tests witnessed by clients
- Drawing submission and get Approval from consultants
- Site issues highlighting and send to a consultant
- Site Additional work Preparation and send the Quotation
- Check and Plan the EOT Date & schedule of the Project
- Every two week once attend the site technical coordination meeting
- Monthly once attend the site safety coordination meeting
- Detail engineering with a safety factor in the design
- Updating the Drawing depends on site condition
- Mockup unit Preparation and execution
- Checking the Workmanship and material Quality as per approved make and standard work for the Right quality and standard work
- Daily & Weekly work Progress Report Preparation and Keep the Record
- Preparing the Monthly work Progress Report for Claim with MeasurementsMonthly LEW Tools inspection checklist Preparation and check-in
- Preparation of Project Report for correct and Timely information for the Progress of work
- Responsible to do surveys including site measurements
- Responsible for Highlighting foreseen Problem & Delays in advance Escalating to the Project Manager.
- Client communication and correspondence.
- Quality Assurance.
- Coordination with workers
- Manpower Controlling and solve the Problem
- Updating of material stock.
- Weekly Material Requirement to be sent by email to the office
- Final Documentation & Billing Works
- Ensure power supply available. Save energy by disconnecting unwanted loads.
- Ensure all electrical machines should be earthed, because in construction mostly related to steel structures, if any leakage from the machine then persons will get shocked.
- If work is going on outside protect machine by covering that from rainfall.
- Make awareness to all people how to switch off power in case of an electrical accident
In addition to the above mention responsibilities, the electrical site engineers have good communication skills, time management, and complex problem-solving abilities and all the necessary soft and technical skills to deal with any runtime error arises at the workplace.