Last Updated on May 19, 2022 by Admin
A state-owned enterprise in India is called a public sector undertaking – PSU or a public sector enterprise. In a PSU company, most shares, 51% or more, are owned by the central or state government. Central public sector enterprises are administered by the ministry of heavy industries and public enterprises. Find here the PSU companies list in India. It Includes all the Maharatna companies, Navratna companies, and Miniratna companies.
In 1951, there were just 5 enterprises in the public sector in India, but in March 2019, this had increased to 348. PSUs are classified as central public sector enterprises (CPSUs, CPSEs) or state-level public enterprises (SLPEs).
As per SCOPE report of 23 October 2019, there are 10 Maharatnas, 14 Navratnas, and 74 Miniratnas. There are nearly 348CPSEs (central public sector enterprises) in total.
You Might Be Interested In;
- Government Engineering Jobs | Application Deadlines
- Civil Engineering Govt Jobs 2022 – How To Find It Online?
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile In 2022
- Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers eBook
- Download: The Great Construction Career – A Career Blueprint
- Planning Engineer Job Description And Salary Details
Public Sector Undertakings – PSU Companies List In India
The union government of India owns PSU companies, or one of the many state or territorial governments, or both. The company stock needs to be majority-owned by the government to be a PSU.
PSUs strictly may be classified as central public sector enterprises (CPSEs) or state-level public enterprises (SLPEs). In 1951 there were just five enterprises in the public sector in India, but in March 1991, this had increased to 246.
Certain public sector undertakings – PSU has been awarded additional financial autonomy. These companies are “public sector companies that have comparative advantages,” giving them greater autonomy to compete in the global market to “support them in their drive to become global giants.” Financial autonomy was initially awarded to nine PSUs as Navratna status in 1997.
Originally, the term Navaratna meant a talisman composed of nine precious gems. Later, this term was adopted in Gupta emperor Vikramaditya and Mughal emperor Akbar as the collective name for nine extraordinary courtiers at their respective courts.
In 2010, the government established the higher Maharatna category, which raises a company’s investment ceiling from Rs. 1,000 crore to Rs. 5,000 crore.
The Maharatna firms can now decide on investments of up to 15 percent of their net worth in a project. At the same time, the Navaratna companies could invest up to Rs 1,000 crore without explicit government approval. Two categories of Miniratnas afford less extensive financial autonomy.
Classifications of Public Sector Undertaking – PSU
Find below the complete PSU Companies List. The PSU companies in India are categorized as;
- Miniratna Category-I
- Miniratna Category-II
Guidelines for awarding Ratna status
Eligibility: Three years with an average annual net profit of over Rs. 2500 crore, OR Average annual Net worth of Rs. 10,000 crore for 3 years, OR Average annual Turnover of Rs. 20,000 crore for 3 years (against Rs 25,000 crore prescribed earlier)
Benefits for investment: Rs. 1,000 crore – Rs. 5,000 crore, or free to decide on investments up to 15% of their net worth in a project
Eligibility: A score of 60 (out of 100), based on six parameters which include net profit, net worth, total workforce cost, the total cost of production, cost of services, PBDIT (Profit Before Depreciation, Interest, and Taxes), capital employed, etc., AND A company must first be a Miniratna and have 4 independent directors on its board before it can be made a Navratna.
Benefits for investment: up to Rs. 1,000 crore or 15% of their net worth on a single project or 30% of their net worth in the whole year (not exceeding Rs. 1,000 crores).
Eligibility: Have made profits continuously for the last three years or earned a net profit of Rs. 30 crores or more in one of the three years
Benefits for investment: up to Rs. 500 crore or equal to their net worth, whichever is lower.
Eligibility: Have made profits continuously for the last three years and should have a positive net worth.
Benefits for investment: up to Rs. 300 crore or up to 50% of their net worth, whichever is lower.
PSU in India are also categorized based on their special non-financial objectives and are registered under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013 (erstwhile Section 25 of Companies Act, 1956).
As of 31st May 2019, there are 8 Maharatnas, 16 Navratnas, and 75 Miniratnas. There were 339 CPSEs (excluding insurance companies) of these, 82 enterprises were yet to commence commercial operations. The remaining 257 were operating enterprises (including 179 scheduled CPSEs ).
You Might Be Interested In;
- Project Management Career – A Complete Guide for 2022
- MS Excel Usage In The Construction Industry [2022 Updated]
- How Writing Can Help Support Your Mental Health
- Free Job Posting Sites In India | Job-Portals | Updated List 2022
- All You Want To Know About PMP Certification In 2022
The PSU Companies List of the Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs)
The CPSE is the PSU in India; below is the detailed description of the PSU Companies List in India.
List of Maharatnas PSU Companies
Maharatna Scheme was introduced for Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs), with effect from 19th May 2010, to empower mega CPSEs to expand their operations and emerge as global giants.
The scheme’s objective is to delegate enhanced powers to the Boards of identified large-sized Navratna CPSEs to facilitate the expansion of their operations, both in domestic and global markets.
List of the Maharatna companies; Kindly click on the links to directly visit the career pages of the respective companies.
9. Power Grid Corporation of India (POWERGRID)
List of Navratnas PSU Companies
Under this scheme, the Government has delegated higher powers to CPSEs, having a comparative advantage and the potential to become global players. Presently, the Navratna companies or Navratna CPSEs below is the list of the PSU companies in India are:-
1. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
7. National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC)
9. Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited (NLCIL)
You Might Be Interested In;
- 11 Best Project Management Online Courses For 2022 Updated
- Top Construction Management Online Courses To Study In 2022
- Construction Industry: Career, Education, and Job Opportunities in 2022
- Construction Management Career & A Complete Guide for 2022
- Top Free Online Courses Websites For Engineering Courses In 2022
The List of Miniratnas (I and II)
In October 1997, the Government decided to grant enhanced autonomy and delegation of financial powers to some other profit-making companies (other than the Navratnas) subject to certain eligibility conditions and guidelines to make them efficient and competitive. These categories were Category I and Category II. Find below the list of PSU companies in India.
- Category I CPSEs should have made a profit in the last three years continuously; the pre-tax profit should have been Rs. 30 crores or more in at least one of the three years and should have a positive net worth.
- Category II CPSEs should have made a profit for the last three years and should have a positive net worth.
List of Miniratna-I PSU Companies
Find below the Miniratna – I PSU in India
- Airports Authority of India (AAI)
- Antrix Corporation
- Balmer Lawrie
- Bharat Coking Coal Limited [BCCL]
- Bharat Dynamics Limited [BDL]
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited [BEML]
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Bridge and Roof
- Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC)
- Central Coalfields Limited (CCL)
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation [CPCL]
- Cochin Shipyard Limited [CSL]
- Dredging Corporation of India [DCI]
- Educational Consultants India [EDCIL]
- Kamarajar Port Limited
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers [GRSE]
- Goa Shipyard Limited [GSL]
- Hindustan Copper Limited [HCL]
- HLL Lifecare Limited
- Hindustan Newsprint
- Hindustan Paper
- Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO)
- HSCC Ltd
- India Tourism Development Corporation [ITDC]
- India Trade Promotion Organisation[ITPO]
- Indian Rare Earths[IREL]
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation[IRCTC]
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency
- Ircon International
- Kudremukh Iron Ore Company
- Mazagon Dock Limited
- Mahanadi Coalfields[MCL]
- Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited[MRPL]
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam
- MMTC Ltd.
- MSTC Limited
- National Fertilizers[NFL]
- National Small Industries Corporation Limited
- National Seeds Corporation
- NHPC Ltd.
- Northern Coalfields[NCL]
- North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited[NEEPCL]
- Numaligarh Refinery
- ONGC Videsh
- Pawan Hans
- Projects and Development India Limited[PDIL]
- RailTel Corporation of India
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers[RCF]
- SJVN Ltd.
- Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India
- South Eastern Coalfields[SECL]
- State Trading Corporation of India
- Telecommunications Consultants India[TCIL]
- THDC Ltd.
- Western Coalfields[WCL]
- Water and Power Consultancy Services
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited
- Apply for the latest Government Engineering Jobs
- Career and job opportunities in the AEC industry in 2022
- Robotics Engineering: A Lucrative Career Option In 2022
- Supply Chain Management and Logistics: The Ultimate Career Guide for 2022
List of Miniratna-II -PSU Companies
- Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India
- Bharat Pumps & Compressors[BPC]
- Broadcast Engineering Consultants India
- Central Mine Planning and Design Institute
- Central Railside Warehouse Company
- Engineering Projects
- FCI Aravali Gypsum and Minerals (India) Limited
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited
- HMT (International) Ltd.
- Indian Medicines & Pharmaceuticals Corporation Limited
- National Film Development Corporation of India[NFDC]
- PEC Ltd.
- Rajasthan Electronics & Instruments Limited
- Ministry of new and renewable energy (MNRE) and Solar Energy Corporation of India Ltd (SECI)
Master list of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs)
The master list of the Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) or Central PSU companies in India.
- Aai Cargo Logistics & Allied Services Co.Ltd.
- Agrinnovate India Ltd.
- Air India Air Transport Services Ltd.
- Air India Engineering Services Ltd.
- Air India Express Ltd.
- Air India Ltd.
- Airline Allied Services Ltd.
- Airports Authority Of India
- Andrew Yule & Co.Ltd.
- Antrix Corp.Ltd.
- Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corp.Of India
- Balmer Lawrie & Co.Ltd.
- Balmer Lawrie Investments Ltd.
- Bel Optronics Devices Ltd.
- Bel-Thales Systems Ltd.
- Beml Ltd.
- Bengal Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Bharat Broadband Network Ltd.
- Bharat Coking Coal Ltd.
- Bharat Dynamics Ltd.
- Bharat Electronics Ltd.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd.
- Bharat Immunologicals & Biologicals Corp.Ltd.
- Bharat Petroleum Corp.Ltd.
- Bharat Petroresources Ltd.
- Bharat Pumps & Compressors Ltd.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.
- Bharat Wagon & Engineering Co.Ltd.
- Bhartiya Rail Bijlee Co.Ltd.
- Bhel Electrical Machines Ltd.
- Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council
- Bisra Stone Lime Co.Ltd.,The
- Bpcl-Kial Fuel Farm Pvt. Ltd.
- Brahmaputra Valley Fertilizer Corp.Ltd.
- Brahmputra Cracker & Polymer Ltd.
- Braithwaite & Co.Ltd.
- Braithwaite, Burn & Jessop Construction Co.Ltd.,The
- Bridge & Roof Co.(India) Ltd.
- British India Corp.Ltd.,The
- Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Ltd.
- Cement Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Central Coalfields Ltd.
- Central Cottage Industries Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Central Electronics Ltd.
- Central Mine Planning & Design Institute Ltd.
- Central Railside Warehouse Co.Ltd.
- Central Warehousing Corp.
- Certification Engineers International Ltd.
- Chandigarh International Airport Ltd.
- Chennai Petroleum Corp.Ltd.
- Coal India Ltd.
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd.
- Concor Air Ltd.
- Container Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Cotton Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Delhi Police Housing Corp.Ltd.
- Eastern Coalfields Ltd.
- Eastern Investment Ltd.
- Ecgc Ltd.
- Edcil (India) Ltd.
- Electronics Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Engineering Projects (India) Ltd.
- Engineers India Ltd.
- Fci Aravali Gypsum & Minerals (India) Ltd.
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Ltd.
- Fertilisers & Chemicals Travancore Ltd.,
- Fertilizer Corp.Of India Ltd.,
- Food Corp.Of India
- Fresh & Healthy Enterprises Ltd.
- Gail (India) Ltd.
- Gail Gas Ltd.
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd.
- Goa Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Goa Shipyard Ltd.
- Handicrafts & Handlooms Exports Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Heavy Engineering Corp.Ltd.
- High Speed Rail Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Hil (India) Ltd.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
- Hindustan Antibiotics Ltd.
- Hindustan Cables Ltd.
- Hindustan Copper Ltd.
- Hindustan Fertilizer Corp.Ltd.
- Hindustan Fluorocarbons Ltd.
- Hindustan Newsprint Ltd.
- Hindustan Organic Chemicals Ltd.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corp.Ltd.
- Hindustan Prefab Ltd.
- Hindustan Salts Ltd.
- Hindustan Shipyard Ltd.
- Hindustan Steelworks Construction Co.Ltd.
- Hll Biotech Ltd.
- Hll Infra Tech Services Ltd.
- Hll Lifecare Ltd.
- Hll Mother & Child Care Hospitals Ltd.
- Hmt (International) Ltd.
- Hmt Bearings Ltd.
- Hmt Ltd.
- Hmt Machine Tools Ltd.
- Hmt Watches Ltd.
- Hooghly Dock & Port Engineers Ltd.
- Hooghly Printing Co.Ltd.
- Hotel Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Housing & Urban Development Corp.Ltd.
- Hpcl Biofuels Ltd.
- Hscc (India) Ltd.
- Idpl (Tamil Nadu) Ltd.
- Iifcl Asset Management Co.Ltd.
- Iifcl Projects Ltd.
- India Infrastructure Finance Co.Ltd.
- India Tourism Development Corp.Ltd.
- India Trade Promotion Organisation
- Indian Medicines Pharmaceutical Corp.Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corp.Ltd.
- Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corp.Ltd.
- Indian Railway Finance Corp.Ltd.
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd.
- Indian Vaccine Corp.Ltd.
- Instrumentation Ltd.
- Ircon Davanagere Haveri Highway Ltd.
- Ircon Infrastructure & Services Ltd.
- Ircon International Ltd.
- Ircon Pb Tollway Ltd.
- Ircon Shivpuri Guna Tollway Ltd.
- Ircon Vadodara Kim Expressway Ltd.
- Irel (India) Ltd.
- Iti Ltd.
- J&K Mineral Development Corp.
- Jammu & Kashmir Development Finance Corp.Ltd
- Jute Corp.Of India Ltd.,
- Kamarajar Port Ltd.
- Kanti Bijlee Utpadan Nigam Ltd.
- Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Karnataka Trade Promotion Organization
- Kiocl Ltd.
- Konkan Railway Corp.Ltd.
- Kumarakruppa Frontier Hotels Pvt.Ltd.
- Loktak Downstream Hydroelectric Corp.Ltd.
- Madras Fertilizers Ltd.
- Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd.
- Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd.
- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd.
- Mecon Ltd.
- Millennium Telecom Ltd.
- Mineral Exploration Corp.Ltd.
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd.
- Mmtc Ltd.
- Moil Ltd.
- Mstc Ltd.
- Mumbai Railway Vikas Corp.Ltd.
- Nagaland Pulp & Paper Co.Ltd.
- Naini Aerospace Ltd.
- National Aluminium Co.Ltd.
- National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corp.
- National Fertilizers Ltd.
- National Film Development Corp.Ltd.
- National Handicapped Finance & Development Corp.
- National Handloom Development Corp.Ltd.
- National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corp.Ltd.
- National Informatics Centre Services Inc.
- National Minorities Development & Finance Corp.
- National Projects Construction Corp.Ltd.
- National Research Development Corp.
- National Safai Karamcharis Finance & Development Corp.
- National Scheduled Castes Finance & Development Corp.
- National Scheduled Tribes Finance & Development Corp.
- National Seeds Corp.Ltd.
- National Small Industries Corp.Ltd.,
- National Textile Corp.Ltd.
- Nbcc (India) Ltd.
- Nbcc Engineering & Consultancy Ltd.
- Nbcc Services Ltd.
- Nepa Ltd.
- Nhdc Ltd.
- Nhpc Ltd.
- Nlc India Ltd.
- Nlc Tamil Nadu Power Ltd.
- Nmdc Csr Foundation
- Nmdc Ltd.
- North Eastern Electric Power Corp.Ltd.
- North Eastern Handicrafts & Handloom Development Corp.Ltd.
- North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corp.Ltd.
- Northern Coalfields Ltd.
- Ntpc Electric Supply Co.Ltd.
- Ntpc Ltd.
- Ntpc Vidyut Vyapar Nigam Ltd.
- Nuclear Power Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Numaligarh Refinery Ltd.
- Oil & Natural Gas Corp.Ltd.
- Oil India Ltd.
- Ongc Mangalore Petrochemicals Ltd.
- Ongc Videsh Ltd.
- Orissa Mineral Development Co.Ltd.
- Patratu Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd.
- Pawan Hans Ltd.
- Pec Ltd.
- Pfc Consulting Ltd.
- Pondicherry Ashok Hotel Corp.Ltd.
- Power Finance Corp.Ltd.
- Power Grid Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Power Grid Jabalpur Transmission Ltd.
- Power Grid Nm Transmission Ltd.
- Power Grid Parli Transmission Ltd.
- Power Grid Unchahar Transmission Ltd.
- Power Grid Vizag Transmission Ltd.
- Power Grid Warora Transmission Ltd.
- Power System Operation Corp.Ltd.
- Powergrid Kala Amb Transmission Ltd.
- Powergrid Southern Interconnector Transmission System Ltd.
- Prize Petroleum Co.Ltd.
- Projects & Development India Ltd.
- Punjab Logistic Infrastructure Ltd.
- Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd.
- Railtel Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Railtel Enterprises Ltd.
- Railway Energy Management Co.Ltd.
- Rajasthan Electronics & Instruments Ltd.
- Ranchi Ashok Bihar Hotel Corp.Ltd.
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd.
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd.
- Rec Ltd.
- Rec Power Distribution Co.Ltd.
- Rec Transmission Projects Co.Ltd.
- Richardson & Cruddas (1972) Ltd.
- Rites Ltd.
- Sail Refractory Co.Ltd.
- Sambhar Salts Ltd.
- Scooters India Ltd.
- Security Printing & Minting Corp.India Ltd.
- Shipping Corp.Of India Ltd.,The
- Sidcul Concor Infra Co.Ltd.
- Sjvn Ltd.
- Solar Energy Corp.Of India
- South Eastern Coalfields Ltd.
- State Trading Corp.Of India Ltd.,The
- Stcl Ltd.
- Steel Authority Of India Ltd.
- Tamil Nadu Trade Promotion Organization
- Tcil Bina Toll Road Ltd.
- Tcil Lakhnadone Toll Road Ltd.
- Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd.
- Thdc India Ltd.
- Uranium Corp.Of India Ltd.
- Utkal Ashok Hotel Corp.Ltd.
- Vignyan Industries Ltd.
- Visakhapatnam Port Logistics Park Ltd.
- Wapcos Ltd.
- Western Coalfields Ltd.
All these Public sector undertaking companies regularly post jobs for the technical and non-technical posts; kindly visit their career page to explore the career opportunities available with them. We also regularly post jobs from all these companies. You can check the latest Government Engineering Jobs posted on our website. Click here to view the latest jobs.
PSU Companies FAQ
Q. What is the Full Form of PSU?
Ans: Public Sector Untertakings.
Q. Number of PSU Companies in India?
Ans: As per SCOPE report of 23 October 2019, there are 10 Maharatnas, 14 Navratnas, and 74 Miniratnas. There are nearly 348CPSEs (central public sector enterprises) in total.