Last Updated on October 8, 2021 by Admin
MS Excel is a very important tool in our daily business operations. Microsoft Excel is used in business to perform various mathematical, financial, and technical calculations. Read more to know about MS Excel usage in the construction industry.
Introduction to MS Excel
In MS excel small and big construction business owners can analyze information and visualize data and information in charts, smart arts, and through seeing visuals stats of data. It is easy to communicate with others through data visualization.
Essential advanced Microsoft Excel skills include practical knowledge of the functional library. Such as the practical knowledge of financial, logical, text, lookup & reference math, filters, and pivot table tools, etc.
MS Excel is a product of Microsoft and it comes along with the Microsoft Office software package. A legal software license is essential to allow you to use or redistribute the software.
Without the license agreement, using the MS Excel tool constitute a breach of copyright law. All software must be legally licensed before it can be installed. You can purchase here the license copy of Microsoft Office 2019 for PC/Mac.
MS Excel In Constructions
Most companies in the construction industry are using modern, smart business systems to control these complex projects. The reality is, the primary business system used to control these projects is Microsoft Excel.
MS Excel is a great, flexible tool for adding up and changing numbers. You can do anything you like with this program. There is clearly a place for MS Excel in every business, but the construction industry has a much higher dependency on this tool than any other business.
Almost all the Civil Engineering business functions use MS Excel, be it execution, surveying, planning, contracts, budgeting, designing, quality control, quantity estimation, you name it. Everyone uses MS Excel.
The data when represented in tables looks good. The required calculations are done by MS Excel. You can store, replicate, and modify the data however you want.
For example: Let’s say the quantity estimation engineer wants to know the quantity of steel to be used at the site, he/she will have to make use of an excel sheet to make a bar bending schedule and assess the quantity of steel.
Excel is one of the most powerful software for Civil Engineers. It helps in maintaining bills, Making graphs, S scheduling things for a project, calculating sizes of beams and columns, etc.
You may calculate the size of columns required in a building all you have to do is program the sheet as per the formula and Just Keep adding the values of load at different floor levels and you can easily get the size and no. of bars required.
MS Excel Advantages
Many of those overseeing advanced project management software in your company turn to Excel to handle day-to-day project management and reporting. They do this even if you have multiple in-house project management software packages at their disposal.
Excel is a flexible and easy project management tool because it is simple for project teams to update data and create and share reports. Collaboration is easy since everyone has Excel and is familiar with the software. This is not the case with the limited licenses and steep learning curve of proprietary project management tools.
The thing is, Excel in recent years has gained some advanced level capabilities that make it an even better construction project management tool than most realize.
Construction projects can have multiple phases and numerous tasks that are dependent on each other. If a task is not completed on time, it could delay-dependent tasks and result in delayed completion of the entire project.
Using a construction project timeline template tracks the progress of your project, allows you to identify risk early, and ensures that the project is completed within the time specified in the contract.
Excel templates to help you plan, track, and manage your construction projects from start to finish. We’ve included brief descriptions of each template to guide you towards the best, most efficient way to use them.
- Top 10 MS Excel Online Courses For Engineers in 2021
- Microsoft Excel & Data Science For 2021 Premium Certification Bundle
- The Microsoft Excel Bootcamp Bundle Only For $29.99 [Original Price $1725]
- Top 10 Free Data Science Online Courses To Learn In 2021
- Tableau Vs Excel: Which data tool best suits your requirements?
- Top 10 Civil Engineering Courses on Udemy [2021 Updated]
- What is Python and why it is important to Learn in 2021?
- What is Power BI? How it is Useful to Harness Construction Data?
MS Excel Is Used For
Do you calculate production rates? keep track of costs or budgets? Excel makes these tasks easy and it gives you a record of all your calculations (unlike your calculator). Excel makes it easy to verify your work and enter changes.
The Construction Professional will be able to use Excel to create estimates, track expenses, calculate overruns, track production rates, calculate materials usages. The following are the important task you can perform with excel.
- Tracking submittals and shop drawings
- Change Order Tracking
- Change Order Estimation
- Consultant Budget Tracking
- Quantity Calculations
- Project Budget Tracking
- Contract Items
- Organize your data with an Excel comprehensive suite of commands, such as Tables and Data Validation.
- Manage Text data using Functions.
- Take advantage of Excel’s most sort after functions such as the VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP.
- Analyze your data using Pivot Tables and all of Excel’s available data analytic commands.
- Reinforce your Excel spreadsheet by utilizing Excel’s wide range of Visuals and Charts.
- Numerical calculations using excel
- Incorporating financial information (estimates) into Word documents
- Creating simple estimates
- Using formulas
- Creating Budgets
- Calculating Production Rates
- Tracking Expenses
- Simple calculations overtime – expense tracking
- Record-Keeping – jobs and equipment
- Subtotals – tracking by job or location
- Filters – analyzing results
- If Statements
- Multiple books and Links – job tracking
- Year over Year comparisons
- Conditional Formatting
We are recommending you have the hands-on training to perfect your excel knowledge at an advanced level. There are a lot of functions in the new updated MS Excel latest version.
MS Excel Advanced Courses Online
There are various online resources from where you can learn ms excel and master it by continuous practice.
Kindly consider these MS-excel online courses for the engineers.