Last Updated on April 16, 2021 by Admin
Strength of materials, also called mechanics of materials, deals with the behavior of solid objects subject to stresses and strains. Check below the top-recommended textbooks and reference books on Strength of Materials (SOM) subject for your studies, exam, and job interview preparation.
In the mechanics of materials, the strength of a material is its ability to withstand an applied load without failure or plastic deformation. A load applied to a mechanical member will induce internal forces within the member called stresses when those forces are expressed on a unit basis.
Textbooks and reference Books on Strength of Materials (SOM)
SOM Text Books :
1. Mechanics of Structures Vol. II by S. B. Junnarkar and Dr. H. J. Shah, Twenty-second edition, Charotar Publishing House Pvt Ltd.
2. Strength of Materials by D. Ghosh A. K. Datta, New Age International Publishers
3. Strength of Materials by R. Subramanian, Oxford University Press.
4. Strength of Materials by S. S. Ratan, Tata McGraw Hill.
5. Mechanics of solids by R Vaidyanathan, P Perumal, and S Lingedwari, Scitech Publication (India) Pvt Ltd.
SOM Reference Books:
1. Elements of Strength of Materials by Timoshenko and Young, East-West Press Ltd.
2. Strength of Materials by F.L. Singer and Andrew Pytel , Harper and Row Publication.
3. Mechanics of Materials by Beer and Johnston, McGraw Hill Publication.
4. Introduction to Mechanics of Solids by E.P. Popov, Prantice Hall Publication.
5. Mechanics of Materials by Gere & Timoshenko, CBC publisher.