Last Updated on June 7, 2023 by Admin
India is home to a wide range of power transmission and distribution companies, each unique offering features. In this blog article, we’ll be exploring some of the top companies in India that provide power transmission and distribution services.
Between FY19 to FY23, the Indian power sector is expected to attract investments worth $128.24-135.37 billion. In 2026-27, the country’s installed power generation capacity is expected to reach 620 GW, of which 38 percent will come from coal and 44 percent from renewables.
Energy Sector In India
India’s power sector is one of the most diversified in the world. Sources of power generation range from conventional sources such as coal, lignite, natural gas, oil, hydro and nuclear power to viable non-conventional sources such as wind, solar, agricultural, and domestic waste. Electricity demand in the country has increased rapidly and is expected to rise further in the years to come.
To meet the increasing demand for electricity in the country, massive addition to the installed generating capacity is required.
India is the third-largest producer and consumer of electricity worldwide, with an installed power capacity of 408.71 GW as of October 31, 2022.
Total FDI inflows in the power sector reached US$ 16.39 billion between April 2000-June and 2022, accounting for 2.71% of the total FDI inflow in India.
The future of the power sector in India looks bright since by 2026-27, the country’s power generation installed capacity will close to 620 GW, of which 38 % will be from coal and 44 % from renewable energy sources.
The private sector in the power industry in India generates 49.4% of the country’s thermal power, whereas States and the Centre generate 24.6% and 26.0%, respectively.
The electricity generation target of Conventional Sources for the year 2021-22 was fixed at 1356 BU, i.e., a growth of around 9.83% over the actual conventional generation of 1234.608 BU for the previous year (2020-21). This target comprises 1155.200 BU Thermal; 149.544 BU Hydro; 43.020 Nuclear; and 8.236 BU Import from Bhutan.
The Indian power sector is undergoing a significant change that has redefined the industry outlook. Sustained economic growth continues to drive electricity demand in India. The Government of India’s focus on attaining ‘Power for all’ has accelerated capacity addition in the country. At the same time, the competitive intensity is increasing on both the market and supply sides (fuel, logistics, finances, and manpower).
India is also focusing on using alternative energy resources like nuclear and solar energy for power generation, which is expected to further boost transformer deployments in the country in the coming years.
India’s natural resources for electricity generation are unevenly dispersed and concentrated in a few pockets. Hydro resources are located in the Himalayan foothills, North Eastern Region (NER).
Books to Download:
- Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers PDF eBOOK
- Mostly Asked Mechanical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers
- How To Face A Technical Interview
- Effective Job Search Strategies for Engineers
- Top 50 HR Interview Questions and Answers for Engineers
- Civil Engineering Careers Blueprint eBook: The Great Construction Career
Coal reserves are concentrated in Jharkhand, Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh, and parts of Madhya Pradesh, whereas lignite is located in Tamil Nadu and Gujarat. Also, many power stations generated from Gas and renewable energy sources like Solar, Wind, etc., have been installed in various parts of the country.
List of the Top Power Transmission and Power Distribution Companies in India
We have compiled a list of the best companies from the Power transmission and distribution (T&D) sector. Considering the above data, we find these companies have a lot of potentials to grow shortly.
Below is the list of the power transmission and power distribution companies in India; some of these companies are also power generation companies in India.
Few of these companies are PSU, and some are also listed on the Indian stock markets. A lot of employment opportunities will be available in all these companies which we have listed here. Please go through their websites to learn more about their current job requirements. We will keep on adding more potential companies here.
*Note: This is not a ranking. This list is not based on any selection criteria. The list is only for information purposes. We have collected this data from the internet.
- NTPC, New Delhi
- Power Grid Corp, Gurgaon
- NHPC, Faridabad
- Tata Power, Mumbai
- SJVN, Shimla/New Delhi
- NLC India, Chennai
- CESC, Kolkata
- JSW Energy, Mumbai
- Torrent Power, Ahmedabad
- Reliance Power, Navi Mumbai
- Adani Power, Dahej
- Jaiprakash Pow, Noida
- Guj Ind Power, Vadodara
- Orient Green, Chennai
- Indowind Energy, Chennai
- Toshiba Transmission & Distribution Systems (India) Private Limited, Hyderabad
- Sterlite Power Transmission Limited, New Delhi
- L&T Power Transmission & Distribution, Kolkata
- Reliance Energy, Noida
- Maha Transco – Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Co. Ltd., Mumbai
- OPTIBELT POWER TRANSMISSION INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED, Pune
- Unitech Power Transmission Ltd., Gurgaon
- Bonfiglioli Transmissions Private Limited, Chennai
- GE T&D India Limited, Chennai
- Ringfeder Power Transmission India Private Limited, Chennai
- KEC International, Mumbai
- Kalpataru Power, Mumbai
- Sunil HitechEng, Mumbai
- Jyoti Structure, Mumbai
- Neueon Towers/Sujana Towers Ltd., Hyderabad
- Ratnagiri Gas and Power Private Limited (RGPPL), Ratnagiri, MH
- TansRail Lighting , Mumbai, Nagpur
- Construction Industry: Education, Career, and Job Opportunities in 2023
- 15 Most Essential Questions to ask yourself before Choosing a Career
- The career option in one of the most powerful power sources: Nuclear Engineer
- Careers in the Oil and Gas Industry [An Ultimate Career Guide 2023]
India is one of the leading countries in power transmission and distribution. With several top companies providing reliable services, India has become a hub for these essential systems. We’ve listed the top power transmission and distribution companies in India to help you get started on your research into this important sector. Whether you are looking for solutions or want to know more about how it works, these great companies offer quality products and services that can meet all your needs.