Last Updated on February 6, 2024 by Admin
The roof has to withstand weather and other external conditions on a consistent basis. It is highly important to provide a protective system to the roof to ensure its durability and sustained structural integrity. That is why the roofing systems have been designed. They offer protection and insulation with enhanced aesthetic appeal to increase the value of the property.
Our blog post will explain several roofing systems that you can select from. We have also listed major factors that can damage the roofing systems. In the end, we have explained the benefits of roofing systems.
Different Types of Roofing Systems
There are several roofing materials that you can select from your residential or commercial properties. These materials offer unique aesthetic and structural characteristics that help you choose the best and most feasible option for your project. You can hire roofing services in Surrey to help you make this decision.
Some of the popular materials include the following:
Asphalt shingles are among the most preferred roofing materials due to their various colours and styles. They are highly affordable and durable roofing materials that provide a long lifespan and enhance curb appeal. Asphalt shingles generally can last for up to 3 decades.
It is popular for many obvious reasons. It provides enhanced protection and energy efficiency with versatile design and material options. You can choose between aluminium, copper, steel and zinc. Metal roofing can last for more than 100 years with little maintenance.
This is another popular material, especially for Spanish or Mediterranean-style houses. These tiles are made of concrete or clay and are available in many colours and styles. They are highly durable and can last for more than a century with regular maintenance.
Wood Shake Roofing
Wood shake offers a rustic and natural look and is generally used in rural settings. They can be made from multiple wood types, such as redwood and cedar. However, they require regular and proper maintenance and can last for up to three decades.
It is a high-end material that provides reliability, durability and enhanced natural beauty. They are made of natural slate that is quarried from natural sources and offers a long life span of more than a century.
Several synthetic materials have risen in popularity due to their affordable and durable nature. These materials can also successfully mimic some high-end roofing materials, such as wood and slate. Popular synthetic materials include rubber and polymer, which can last for more than 50 years.
Modified Bitumen Roofing
This is an improved form of build-up roofing system. It is installed with a single ply membrane having a modified layer of bitumen on the top. This roofing type is suitable for areas with frequent temperature changes.
Spray Foam Roofing
This roofing material is highly lightweight and offers considerable waterproofing and insulation. It can be seamlessly installed even on any existing roofing system. It is a feasible option for low-slope or flat roofing in London.
This is an eco-friendly option that offers better insulation, reduced runoff and improved air quality for both indoor and outdoor. Green roofing involves laying a waterproofing membrane under vegetation and a soil layer.
Common Causes of Roofing Damage
Roofing can be damaged due to multiple environmental and climatic factors. Some major factors are listed below:
- Wind damage
- Ice dams damage
- UV light damage
- Fire damage
- Animal damage
- Poor design and installation
- Fallen trees or debris
- Impact damage
- Storm damage
- Algae damage
Advantages of A Roofing System
A well-installed roofing system offers numerous benefits, such as:
- It can protect your roof from external factors, such as weather and animals and increase its lifespan.
- A roofing system can increase both the aesthetic and monetary value of your house and make it more attractive for buyers.
- It will increase the energy efficiency and insulating properties of your house and reduce the energy costs.
- It offers a wide range of materials, colours and designs to choose from to complement any type of architecture and exterior design.
- Roofing systems are made of sturdy and durable materials that have extremely low maintenance requirements.
- Roofing materials are highly resistant to storm and ice damage, fire and other external elements, making them durable and long-lasting.
- Sustainable Landscaping Techniques in Construction
- The Best Roofing Materials for Every Climate
- The Best Roofing Contractors for Your Home: A Comprehensive Guide
- Cutting-Edge Roofing Solutions for the Modern Era
- Is your Home’s structure strong enough for these Shingles?